identifiying the decklight brand for '87 E34

sailingdeacon

Member III
The deck light cowling part of the combination decklight/steaming light blew or broke away. I'd like to fix it or replace it, but would really like the make I have. But it seems very differnent from those in catalogs or at the marinas nearby. It has four attachment points, 2 on eac side of the mast, which eliminates the typical ones you see today. It is black, eliminating the aluminum colored versions. Interesingly a neighbor 88 or 89 E32 has a different make. Another curious design is that the steaming fresnel appears to be round and "bulging" - differnent from others. Any ideas of which make it was?

sailingdeacon

Member III
Thanks! but even though that one may be my only and best choice, it isnt what I now have. And of course I'd love to just get the replacement decklight cowl.

sailingdeacon

Member III
Photo of the light I am trying to identify.

I'm still trying to find the brand of light I have. The first photo is the steaming/decklight combination on my 87 E34. The lower part (decklight) apparently blew away. Maybe someone can identify the manufacturer. Notice the rounded, bulging top part. Yep, I know, fussy... But I'd like to not have to make 4 new holes to mount a different make.

The second photo is from a 88 or 89 E32 which has a different light.

Attachments

• boatlight.jpg
    boatlight.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 88
  • boat light wrong.jpg
    boat light wrong.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 88

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Have you checked the Owner's Manual for the list of suppliers to your boat? If you run down the vendors, and then email them with a closeup of the part, I'm sure they'll be able to match it up (or give you the bad news)...

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Look forward, not back...

On our '88, the factory mast light combo was similar to your photo #1, and was maybe from Forespar. I redrilled a couple holes during the re-rig and re-wire project a few years ago and installed an Aquasignal unit like your photo #2.

Our original unit was so corroded that it came off in pieces, anyway... like the (very inefficient) Perko anchor light on the masthead, and the VHF antenna. All this stuff was still (barely) working at the time. As it turned out, I could never could have replaced even a burnt-out bulb without destroying the old hardware. :boohoo:

Unless someone studies your spar with field glasses, they will never notice the spare hole where you changed the combo steamin/foredeck light unit. Just flush fill the old holes with sealant or epoxy.

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
From the looks of it, it appears to be a Forespar. Why don't you just
go aloft to id it?

Martin

jgarmin098

Member II
Yup, it's a Perko alright. Mine blew off last season probably due to the new cruising lam jib beating heck out of it in the tacks...