Ice Box

Gary and Terri

With regards to the icebox on our E-27, I am not sure what is faster, the speed of sound or the rate ice melts in the Florida summer. Anyhow, after looking into it ( no pun) there are several areas void of any insulation and the rest have no room for any. So I was thinking that instead of trying to drill access holes all over and injecting foam,which would still leave numerous voids I would cut the top off. I have measured it out and have enough access to be able to cut off the top at which time I can probably remove the box and pour 2 part foam
around wherever possible and at the fore and aft ends where there is no room for any I would have easy reach to install 3-4" of foam,thin wood veneer and then fiberglass it to the insides of the box itself. Before replacing the top I could also add 3-4" on the top too, replace it,fill the cut and install a new Correll countertop. Anyone out there attemped anything like this?If so , what worked and what did not. Thanks to anyone how can offer some insight. Gary and Terri

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Summer time blues

Have you noticed that the drain for your icebox is forward and a bit uphill? So...as the ice melts, it form a nice little lake that helps melt away the rest of your ice as it drains. I have thought about installing another drain near the rear of the box. (I'am still thinking...)

Right now I have a layer of soda cans covering the bottom so the ice rests on top and out of the water. Someday though, someone might want to drink one of them. (Still thinking...)

Sounds like you are sick and tired of warm soda and ready to dynamite the whole thing? It also sounds like you are planning a whole lot of work that's going to keep you dockside for a while... (While Florida's beautiful breezes blow.)

Last week I tossed in a big block of ice instead of the cubes and smashed some soda cans that some idiot had laid on the bottom. (Still thinking...)

Maybe $20.00 worth of dry ice will buy me a cold 50 cent soda? what do you think?

:confused:

I did actually install a new counter top and a hinged and sealed teak lid but... California Summer time can still turn the inside of the whole boat into a dutch oven.

Hey; let me know if you find a way to improve anything. With my old Cal 25, we just used an old coleman ice chest that doubled for a companionway step. (Never gave me no trouble, no sireee.)

Last edited:

Gary and Terri

Jim,

I think you need to teach that guy how to load a cooler.Its ice beer ice beer soda ice beer ice.
I am just tired of watching $25 of ice melt away on a long weekend here. Plus I have not had a project for several weeks and I get antsy when I am not busy.
Also, I remember not that long ago when a bog of ice was 10lbs of rock solid not the 6-7 lbs of 32.5 degree hard water you get now. Gary