I think we'll install a bucket

Sven

Seglare
Well, not really :egrin:

After the hazardous waste experience following "the Gathering" a month ago I figured head problems would keep away for a while. I was wrong.

This time it was the water supply solenoid that acted up. It wasn't that it wouldn't open, but that it kept leaking enough to force us to turn off the pressure water or face an overflow. I found the part at Redden Marine. It was $100 plus H&S at a discount for a toilet that cost less than $550 complete 6 years ago. Maybe there was an antique value to it that I just didn't appreciate :rolleyes:. I hoped something just got lodged in the valve seat but tapping and cycling on and off had no discernible effect.

The experience did tell me that I want a manual shut-off before the solenoid and maybe in all supply lines ?

-Sven

HughHarv

Hugh
Composting Toilet

The more I read about the typical marine heads the more I like the idea of the composting type (with a bucket for back up). No thru-hulls, no plumbing, and best of all, no holding tank. Would rather dump compost several times a year than deal with one plugged head and human waste. I saw a couple of composting marine heads on ebay for under $900.00 recently. When the conventional head becomes a problem, it's outta there!

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I'm guessing by the references to "solenoids", etc. that this is some sort of electric head? Never really understood the practicality of making something that mixes saltwater and human waste ELECTRIC. The Raritan manually operated head on my boat is the only one I have ever owned. I treat it to an overnight soak with vinegar a couple of times a season and Odorlos head treatment once a week when I empty the holding tank. It works great, never had a problem. RT

Sven

Seglare
The more I read about the typical marine heads the more I like the idea of the composting type (with a bucket for back up).

There has been some good discussion about composting heads on the SCCA.org forum. I think they might be a bit bulky and you still have to dispose of the liquids but I sure wouldn't rule them out. I'm not so sure about carrying a years worth of peatmoss but assume other stuff would work too if you happen to be in a place where peatmoss isn't readily available :)

There were some complaints about smell but those were taken care of once the vent was properly installed and were not from the solids.

-Sven