Hydraulic repair person needed

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Everyone,
I seem to recall that there was, not too long ago, someone logged in here whose business was repairing hydraulics.
Our integral BS adjuster needs a rebuild, and a quote would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Loren

clp

Member III
Loren, you strike me as a very competent mechanic, and that being the case, just repair it yourself. These are incredibly simple things, ie: no springs or check balls to go kasproing. The only thing in the cylinder is seals and O-rings. Every one of these things that I have overhauled in the presence of the owner, the response is always, "Wow, that's all there is to it"? You can literally do it sitting in the cockpit with hand tools. But a vice is much more gooder..

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, you strike me as a very competent mechanic, and that being the case, just repair it yourself. These are incredibly simple things, ie: no springs or check balls to go kasproing. The only thing in the cylinder is seals and O-rings. Every one of these things that I have overhauled in the presence of the owner, the response is always, "Wow, that's all there is to it"? You can literally do it sitting in the cockpit with hand tools. But a vice is much more gooder..

Well, as one of the regulars here once said, all you need to do most anything are at least two of: Time, Money, or Skill.
So.... I have become pretty good at rough construction like glass work and mechanical/fab stuff that no one will see...... fine detail work is something I usually leave to a skilled person with a clean work bench and the right tools!
:rolleyes:

You are likely correct (and I am flattered that you say it), but in this case a DIY solution is not so likely.

I guess it goes back to that car tranmission I tried to rebuild in my late teens ---- and wound up with left-over parts! Had to spend some hard-earned $ and get it done right. :0
Then there were the twin SU's on my old beat up TR-3 and later the 544 Volvo. I could just get 'em ballanced well enough for it to run enough to get it to a mechanic!

Cheers,
Loren

Guy Stevens

Put it in a box and send it to:

Send it to Brad at Svendsens.

Tell him that I (Guy) told you to send it to him.

Unless the shaft is badly scored he can generally get them to work just fine.

Call 510.522.7860 (Svendsens Rig Shop)

Ask for Brad he will give you an estimate based on model number etc.

It is a little pricey because he has to use the real Navtec parts to repair them with. (He is Navtec Certified). So you do end up paying the MARINE markup on the parts. He is quick on getting them done, so generally the labor is not too bad. This does get you a part that simply works for quite a few years.

You can have them rebuilt at a local hydraulic shop, that you can find in the Phone book, but I have found this to be ill advised. I have tried this on several occasions, and in each ended up rebuilding them myself within a few weeks of having them "Rebuilt by a Professional Hydraulic Shop". It seems that in each case they didn't really have the parts to put it back together right, so used what they had. They are also used to working on heavy equipment which is a lot more forgiving apparently.

Guy
:)

e38sailorman

Member II
Loren,

In Seattle
Sound Rigging
3426 63rd Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98116

Lew Townsend
206-498-7282
lewtownsend@comcast.net

Then get a backstay condom (cover) for the adjuster, keeps the sun and weather off the seal which drys out over time.

Marc
E38 WaveWalker
Gig Harbor Wa

Slick470

Member III
Loren,

This is on the "wrong" coast, but if Navtec there is Bam Miller at Oyster Bay Boat shop in NY. His customer service is top notch. Sailtec originally referred him to me, but he no longer services Sailtec.

Bam Miller
Oyster Bay Boat Shop
800.645.7446 or fax 800.624.9989
bam@oysterbayboatshop.com

Another option is to get rid of the hydraulic and do what Steve did in this thread http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...11645-Hydraulic-to-Cascading-Backstay-Upgrade. Which I may do once our rebuilt one gives up the ghost.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
SailTec

Thanks (!) for the leads everyone.
I forgot to mention that this is SailTec backstay adjuster, and not a Navtec. Boat came with a Navtec integral BS adjuster, and after it failed following a rebuild by Svensons, I replaced it in '02 with this competitor.
(Actually, I am kind of wondering just what the 'half life' is on any of these devices....)

LB

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Tr-3

Loren: I still have the SU carb synchronizing kit from my 1960 TR-3 if you need it. Not much help with the BS adjuster though. Al Frakes, Port Kent, NY

Slick470

Member III
For sailtec, you may try them directly for a rebuild or see who they recommend who is closer to you. They were pretty quick to email me back when I contacted them.

Guy Stevens

Hmmm ok

Really there is not that much going on in them. Hydraulics are fairly simple devices.

I am wondering why it is that the Navtec failed after the rebuild? How long it took to fail after the rebuild and what is going on with your boat that it is eating these?

They are a piston with o rings in a cylinder with two valves and a piston pump. If you have the remote, the valves and the hand operated piston pump are not even on the unit.

What is the behavior on these that you have had.

The only thing that generally destroys them so they can't be rebuilt is that they corrode, (Being and Aluminum stainless mix), get bent, or have the shaft or the cylinder scored so bad that they can't hold pressure anymore.

Other than that the parts if they are the correct ones, generally go in, replace the worn o rings, or a worn valve and off you go.

I have seen a lot of bent ones, and a lot of them that are really badly scored.

Did you change out ALL the fluids when you but the rebuilt back into service?

Guy
:)

Grizz

Grizz
Interested bystander...

Since I've got the same boat as Loren, with the same (original) Navtek, with cycles of service in-between unknown, I'm very interested in Loren's reply to Guy's questions. My Navtek is fully functional (currently) and as near as I can tell, has been pulled off the boat when the mast was un-stepped for at least 15 of its 23 years. Haven't a clue what affect this has on "years", but one would think it has to help.

Loren? Are you awake? Loren?