Hull Number Location

Bob in Va

Member III
We are having a real hard time determining hull numbers for some late 60s and early 70s boats, specifically E23s. Was there a standard location for such? One owner reports finding the same written numbers on several interior wood pieces when he disassembled them for refinishing. Does anyone know where Ericson placed hull numbers on those Mk 1 boats? Thanks - Bob

HGSail

Member III
Many boats did not have the hull # stamped on the stern until the early 70's. My '73 E29 has it in the center of the transom at the bottom.

Pat
E29
Holy Guacamole

therapidone

Member III
HINs vs. Hull Numbers

The hull identification numbers to which Pat refers as not appearing until the early 70s did not become a requirement because of US law until sometime in 1972. However, a HIN is somewhat different from a hull number. The hull number, in my mind, indicates that the vessel in question is the N'th hull constructed by this manufacturer of this model. I know that in a '71 C&C MkI with which we used to be associated, the hull number (#39), was cut into a piece of wood below the seat/step into the v-berth. I don't know whether C&C did this or a previous owner. I don't know if Ericson or other manufacturers bothered to indicate the hull numbers somewhere in their vessels prior to 1972. And, even after 1972, at least on Ericson's part, the HIN might not have a true "hull number" per the definition above.

For instance, for the E/30+ model (the model that we own), the serial number portion of the HIN would look like "30501" for the first one of these models that was constructed. But I would say that the specific boat identified by the serial number 30501 is actually hull number 1 for that model. For the E/30 II models, built from 1977 - 79, the serial number might look like 30001 for the first of these models and and 30047 might be the representation of the last of them. The original E/30 - I, or as it was probably called at the time, E/30, was built prior to 1972, so no HIN was required & hull numbers ranged from 1 - 150...again, if Ericson bothered to inscribe them somewhere on them is unknownt o me.

None of this answers your question :offtopic: as to whether one can find a hull number in 60s to early 70s era boats...sorry about that.

Regards,

Ed:egrin:

Last edited: