Hull configuration?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
BlaBlaBla

Good thoughts-all of them. And yes-we are all having fun with this thread. One of the nice things is that in this website you have a lot of people sharing a common activity, which we love, and as is typical of our sport, most of us a happy to share our experience and knowledge.

Predictably, I stand by my comments-even about the safety point. Remember that while we (most of the time, but not ALL the time) are pushing the "envelope" for more speed, we still have to finish the race intact. Even the "pros" who have big corporate sponsors (maybe especially them) have an obligation not to wreck those million dollar boats, and to arrive alive.

Even in local racing, the rules say you must finish with the saem number of crew you started with.

So, while there certainly are some bad apples who don't practice good seamanship, they are the minority. The majority of us take safety VERY seriously. None of us wants to be the subject of a story about a disaster at sea.

Maybe our threshold for safety is farther out on the spectrum than a strict cruiser, but it is unfair to characterise racers in general as careless or reckless, and we manage the considerable risks of ocean passagemaking as well as possible (bad apples excluded).

There are risks in any sporting activity-even cruising.

HAve a safe and happy holiday!

escapade

Inactive Member
More Bla,Bla,Bla

I know in my case the racing has made me more aware of the safety aspects of sailing, particular short handed sailing. The required list of safety equipment can be rather impressive. The 12 ga. &/or skyblazers most cruisers carry aren't enough to get past a tech inspection. How many cruisers have MOB's, jack lines, harness for each crew member, SOLAS flares, redundant bilge pump set-up's, ALL charts for the area being sailed in, etc. These items are all required items for off-shore races in the Great Lakes. Furthermore, I find that the racers are more likely to use the jack lines & harness at night or in bad weather.
When my wife & I go cruising we regularly rig the jack lines & have our inflatable vest/harness close at hand, something we didn't necessarily do before. The MOB is rigged w/strobe & decks are cleared for going off shore. The Great Lakes are smaller than the ocean's your used to sailing in, but just as deadly. In 2001, 2 people died in the Huron Double Handed Chalange (Port Huron to Rogers City-180 kn.) when their catamaran capsized in a storm. Their's was the only fatality, but it reinforces the idea that things can happen even with experienced crew & the safety equipment. I have seen many "cruising" boats that I wouldn't feel safe in on a day sail crossing the lake. Doesn't mean they are safer by design, only lucky. Even a blind squirl finds a nut once in a while!
I believe the majority of the respondants on this web site that race are in the same catagory as I am. We are racing Ericson's w/complete interiors (cushions, stoves, dishes, food, beer, beer, beer, etc.) and doing quite well, thank you very much. I have found a lot of people suprisied at how quick an Ericson is which is a tribute to Bruce King and his ability to design a comfortable cruising boat that is also capable of winning in a PHRF fleet. The only difference between racing & cruising on Escapade is the dodger & dingy don't go racing. We won't run with a J35 heads up, but can compete when you add the 60 sec/mi handicap.
Well, I believe I've beat this dead horse enough for now, but I see this thread is presently #2 in responces & #3 in views. Shall we go for a record?
Bud
E34 "Escapade"

Davis Modlin

Inactive Member
Racing va Cruising?

Jim,

I grew up cruising most of the Islands off of SoCal. and have also raced quite a bit on Olson 30's and Schock 35's. Don't let any of the racers tell you that if your a racer you can't cruise, And if your a cruiser you can't race.

I have raced with some of the most intalerable people( people who think winning is everything), On one boat I even jumped off at the leward mark and swam ashore. Needless to say the boat lost. (because the boat has to finish with the same amount of crew that it starts out with). I have also crewed for people who never even raised thier voices at the most criticle moments. These where the people that had the best crews because they were happy to be there and wanted to win for thier skippers, And not kill them. On the Olson (Holy Guacamole) we took 6th in Seatlle (1st of the nonringers) and third on the Schock (TroubleMaker) in Newport (again 1st of the nonringers) just behind Dave Ullman and Dennis Conners. We even beat D.C. In one of the races!! (not bad for a bunch of slobs from Ventura)

The skipper/owners of these boats were some of the greatest people I have ever known and would crew for them any day. A good skipper should be glad that these people are willing to come out on thier day off and bust thier butts for a sandwich and a couple of bottles of water. Remember, The skipper takes all the glory, But the crew does all of the grunt work to make it happen.

Now as for my cruising, I would never give it up for anything.

Pat Modlin
E-29
Holy Guacamole :egrin:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Socal Sailing

Pat,

Nice post! We must have met at one of the Schock 35 Regattas-I sailed for years with Claudia Wainer on Whistler, then later with Whiplash, and a stint on Chaya. You guys on Troublemaker were always very good-don't sell yourselves short.

Just saying hello from my hole in Chicago!

Cheers