How to tie Anchor Rope to 2 cleats, I may make Loop Bridle?

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
I feel anchors should be 2% of the boat weight.
Where did you come up with this number?
My 5000 pound Ericson has 3 chained in line
I can just imagine the mess this will create. Enough swinging with the tide and you could wind things up so much one or all three(!) anchors could pull themselves out.

There really isn't any new ground to break in the world of anchoring properly.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
My E25 has just 2 cleats and 1 of mine had to be repaired, so I think I want to direct anchor force downward and equally so may just loop anchor rope UNDER but NOT TIED to the cleats with the rope tied to make a loop 10 feet forward and then the anchor line continuing 30 feet more to the Anchor. I guess this will rub and wear the top of the bow deck, but I can notice and stop if that occurs. I think arranging to split anchor rope and go to the 2 cleats seperately would be more complex and not as good since will pull on 1 cleat then the other each minute. Any thoughts?
Consider repairing\backing both bow cleats with some good ole g10 and just using one cleat at a time and using a single anchor. simple is better. KISS.

Do you have the trailerable e25 with a trailering bow eye?

Last edited:
Consider repairing\backing both bow cleats with some good ole g10 and just using one cleat at a time and using a single anchor. simple is better. KISS.

Do you have the trailerable e25 with a trailering bow eye?
Simple is not always better, that's not good advice, I wish it were sadly life is weird sometimes complex is better. Problem is pro fishermen out every day in 1900s set the industry standard we unconsciously follow and Maybe go with simple cause it saves labor and parts and cause they have different skills like will notice if anchor slips, amateur mariners with kids aboard maybe don't want to follow these very different pro fishermen, so we should examine our choices..... In a hurricane or windstorm one knows say wind is from SE for 24 hours till passes then that wonderful dropoff as worst is past, so Line of 3 30lb anchors each chained 10 feet apart won't get tangled and to be careful I can swim down to check and push em deeper. I wonder if there is Groupthink of sailers not wanting even 1 ugly huge wide 50lb anchor as wide as PingPong table jutting out or jumble of few anchors on deck instead get CuteShiny 30lb one. Be honest, millionaires could afford pingpong table and huge anchor motor but aesthetics Groupthink bars that... like the Groupthink against small catamarans bars clearly better sailing boats ha. For myself, when I super need anchoring, like in a hurricane if get stuck in some Louisiana bay to not have megaanchors in hurricane is even worst advice maybe. Consider, if little anchors slip 1% of time at anchor that's pretty risky, for some it's 10% they experience ,, that's accepting hi risk rather than have uglier 50-100lb ping pong table anchor, are we sure it's not mindset not logic... I am often a big bozo, just exploring the issues.. My e25 fixed lil keel is mostly pushed by wind when in a bay, no tide to push me around...

Last edited:
Where did you come up with this number?

I can just imagine the mess this will create. Enough swinging with the tide and you could wind things up so much one or all three(!) anchors could pull themselves out.

There really isn't any new ground to break in the world of anchoring properly.
.... My 1st "plow" anchor seems has designed spot to attach more anchor and chain and I attached a 2nd anchor a Danforth. See pic. I think these 2 would hold better than 1 alone, and maybe was the design. I could arrange some links to attach a 3rd anchor but maybe the rope would keep 2 and 3 from digging downward as much by rope between em. Sooooo, I am going to go with 2, I have em and not worth hassle of switching to just 1 big jumbo 50lb anchor. I do accept everyone's doubts, and totally accept many anchors in line adds hassle and tangles and maybe adds little holding for all the effort, just wanted to see if anyone has experimented but nope .. PS. I found some weird wire loops on anchor chain, see Pic, any idea what it does?. Peace

Attachments

• IMG_20220417_154837.jpg
    IMG_20220417_154837.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20220417_155108.jpg
    IMG_20220417_155108.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20220417_155230.jpg
    IMG_20220417_155230.jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 17

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Simple is not always better, that's not good advice, I wish it were sadly life is weird sometimes complex is better. Problem is pro fishermen out every day in 1900s set the industry standard we unconsciously follow and Maybe go with simple cause it saves labor and parts and cause they have different skills like will notice if anchor slips, amateur mariners with kids aboard maybe don't want to follow these very different pro fishermen, so we should examine our choices..... In a hurricane or windstorm one knows say wind is from SE for 24 hours till passes then that wonderful dropoff as worst is past, so Line of 3 30lb anchors each chained 10 feet apart won't get tangled and to be careful I can swim down to check and push em deeper. I wonder if there is Groupthink of sailers not wanting even 1 ugly huge wide 50lb anchor as wide as PingPong table jutting out or jumble of few anchors on deck instead get CuteShiny 30lb one. Be honest, millionaires could afford pingpong table and huge anchor motor but aesthetics Groupthink bars that... like the Groupthink against small catamarans bars clearly better sailing boats ha. For myself, when I super need anchoring, like in a hurricane if get stuck in some Louisiana bay to not have megaanchors in hurricane is even worst advice maybe. Consider, if little anchors slip 1% of time at anchor that's pretty risky, for some it's 10% they experience ,, that's accepting hi risk rather than have uglier 50-100lb ping pong table anchor, are we sure it's not mindset not logic... I am often a big bozo, just exploring the issues.. My e25 fixed lil keel is mostly pushed by wind when in a bay, no tide to push me around...
its a 25 foot nutshell, a paper clip would anchor this thing.

jtsai

Member III
.... My 1st "plow" anchor seems has designed spot to attach more anchor and chain and I attached a 2nd anchor a Danforth. See pic. I think these 2 would hold better than 1 alone, and maybe was the design. I could arrange some links to attach a 3rd anchor but maybe the rope would keep 2 and 3 from digging downward as much by rope between em. Sooooo, I am going to go with 2, I have em and not worth hassle of switching to just 1 big jumbo 50lb anchor. I do accept everyone's doubts, and totally accept many anchors in line adds hassle and tangles and maybe adds little holding for all the effort, just wanted to see if anyone has experimented but nope .. PS. I found some weird wire loops on anchor chain, see Pic, any idea what it does?. Peace
Alex, can the "wire loop" for attaching an anchor float as a visual reference for the 1st anchor when setting up the 2nd anchor in a Bahamian anchor fashion? I had lots of practice anchoring this way when the Pamlico Sound is under hurricane warning and boats had to evacuate their marinas. The float is also helpful in locating the anchor post-storm, most likely they have moved. Just make sure the float line is at least 2X (or more) of the water depth to accommodate for the storm surge.

What you described in your post and pictures is tandem anchor system. After the North Carolina coastal areas got clobbered by several hurricanes in the last decade, half of my sailing club members have adopted that method. The two anchors are tied in tandem with wires, not with chain or rope. Wire will cut into river/bay mud as the pair of anchors settle deeper. The length of the wire is the normal water depth plus bow height, so you retrieve one at a time. The only disadvantage of tandem anchoring is there is a single anchor rode tied to the boat whereas the Bahamian anchor style has two. Large boats with all chain anchor rode will do OK with single rode. I have chain/rope and feel more secure with two.

Galveston Bay has a bullseye for hurricanes just like North Carolina. Get your storm anchor system sorted out before the hurricane season begins.

Alex, can the "wire loop" for attaching an anchor float as a visual reference for the 1st anchor when setting up the 2nd anchor in a Bahamian anchor fashion? I had lots of practice anchoring this way when the Pamlico Sound is under hurricane warning and boats had to evacuate their marinas. The float is also helpful in locating the anchor post-storm, most likely they have moved. Just make sure the float line is at least 2X (or more) of the water depth to accommodate for the storm surge.

What you described in your post and pictures is tandem anchor system. After the North Carolina coastal areas got clobbered by several hurricanes in the last decade, half of my sailing club members have adopted that method. The two anchors are tied in tandem with wires, not with chain or rope. Wire will cut into river/bay mud as the pair of anchors settle deeper. The length of the wire is the normal water depth plus bow height, so you retrieve one at a time. The only disadvantage of tandem anchoring is there is a single anchor rode tied to the boat whereas the Bahamian anchor style has two. Large boats with all chain anchor rode will do OK with single rode. I have chain/rope and feel more secure with two.

Galveston Bay has a bullseye for hurricanes just like North Carolina. Get your storm anchor system sorted out before the hurricane season begins.
... I do wonder if Tandem Anchors could have 1 anchor when being set as boat goes forward 10 feet cutting a week plane through the mud, then the 2nd would be right in this weak area. On other hand mud seems to seal itself after any disruption.... Why don't they sell a 50lb bowling ball that's easy to handle but maximum weight to hold anchor chain and danforth down, I can lift 50 lb ball. A 6inchx6inchx6inch cube of steel would weigh 60 pounds (6x6x6x0.2833=61.1928 pounds), but would this if pulled a bit make a trough so actual anchor can't dig in as well, nah, weight is awesome.... Galveston Bay gets hit about each 10 years, so its a risk, and most do NOT evacuate marina and last Fall small Hurricane boy did boats get yanked on their cleats from constant medium waves our marina is not in protected bay. But it was waves not wind, so I do wonder if boat is safer out using Tandem Anchor in small bay without waves and just have 30mph wind for 20 hours and shore is nearby and our small bays are just 4 feet deep.

Last edited:
... Per youtube Salmon fisherman use 60 pound lead "cannonball" sinkers, these would be great to hold down anchor chain, but not sure the brass loop on them is strong enough for anchor yanks.

Rotometals NewSalmon Lead Cannonball Sinker 60 to 30 pounds

Attachments

• Rotometals NewSalmon Lead Cannonball Sinker 60 to 30 pounds.jpg
    Rotometals NewSalmon Lead Cannonball Sinker 60 to 30 pounds.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 5
Hmm, kellet anchor... Attached midpoint. . . .

Attachments

• 019c27226583c963772340b0ef83ed72.jpg
    019c27226583c963772340b0ef83ed72.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 25-lb-kellet.jpg
    25-lb-kellet.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 7
  • images.png
    images.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 7
Some youtube videos suggest Tandem Anchors don't help, seems the 2nd anchor sets last so remains at surface and seems to pop up the 1st anchor. I think if in Mud then tandems work better, it is more resistence to plow thru twice. So, in average sand and misc bottom Tandems maybe don't add much.

So maybe in Hurricane just gotta toss out 2 or 3 separate anchor lines? increase holding up to 150% just 1 line?

I totally want to buy a big 100 pound anchor, that is probably maximum holding and not much hassle but will take muscle ha, I will look and hope for cheap $50 find a NEW QUEST to enjoy, the ultimate jumbo anchor.

see youtube "Tandem Anchoring. Anchor Test Video #94."

Attachments

• fasdfsdaf.jpg
    fasdfsdaf.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 6
  • download_2.jpg
    download_2.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: