How to "restore" fiberglass antennas

Emerald

Hi,

I thought I'd just pass this on as I think I've seen this question asked on and off, and now that I finally am faced with the same problem, I think I have an answer.

The item in question is my 8 foot long fiberglass Loran C antenna that has developed a bad case of the "splinters". I decided to talk with Shakespeare, but first found this on their website:

"Can I repair the antenna if the fiberglass becomes frayed?
Yes. Simply wash the antenna with soap and water first, and allow it to dry completely. Next, paint the antenna with polyurethane or a lead free, nonmetallic paint. Then lightly sand the surface with 400-grit sandpaper. Additional coats of paint may be added, but are usually not really necessary."

and this can be viewed online here:

http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/antennas/ant-faq.htm

To further cover all bases, I then contacted Shakespeare's tech support to just verify that this would work without any issues on my Loran C antenna, and the answer is yes. The one thing that they do stress is not to use any paint with any metallic content.

Hope this helps someone else avoid an armful of fiberglass splinters (my antenna is mounted on the stern rail, try as I might, seems couple times a season I brush against it).

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

u079721

Contributing Partner
Shroud cover

When my Loran antenna developed its own case of the splinters a few years ago I just stopped by West Marine on my way to the boat one day and bought one of those white vinyl shroud covers for a few dollars. I think the top foot or two are still exposed, but it covers it well enough that I no longer worry about touching it.

Not as elegant a solution perhaps as painting it, but a lot less work!