how to handle a medical emergency ?

steven

Sustaining Member
Have got to thinking about how to handle a life threatening medical emergency while cruising. Suppose for example, out in the middle of the Bay one fine breezy afternoon and someone aboard suffers a suspected heart attack.

I'm thinking I'd heave-to and issue a MAYDAY on VHF Ch16. But is that the right or best way to handle? And if it is, what happens next - is there such a thing as marine ambulance service?

I'm in the Annapolis area. Would appreciate advice or insight specific to this area, but also in general. Has anyone in this group experienced a something like this?

--Steve

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
No such thing

as a marine ambulance. If you have cell coverage, you could call 911. Be able to accurately and quickly tell them your position. You might be surprised how hard that can be when you're "staying calm." You could call a mayday on Ch 16 and nearby boats, that should be monitoring, may come to your assistance. The Coast Guard would certainly respond and collect all the data about the emergency situation. So if it was just you and your sick friend, it would be tough to do CPR and talk to the CG. See the part about quickly and accurately, above. Seriously, it is something to think about, as you've already figured out.

There are CG, Homeland Security, CG Aux., police and fire boats around, but never when you really need one.

I have not had a real emergency at sea. But our sailing instructor got sick one night at a dock, away from home on an overnight, and we students sailed him home the next day in a driving snowstorm. Man, that was fun.

Emerald

Hi Steve,

I wish I could give you some real feedback based on something beyond a gut reaction, but I think the biggest thing you've got going for you is the location (Annapolis) is so full of boaters during the normal season, that you have a good chance of having both a nearby boater respond quickly and, as you know, with the Naval Academy and a few other things in our area, real help is probably a lot quicker than you might imagine. Footrope brings up a good point about how do you handle a distress call if you're trying to tend to the sick, or if you're solo and are the sick. This is one where a DSC capable VHF radio connected to your GPS might be worth investigating if you do not have one already. However, there is an issue on some (probably most current) DSC radios switching channel when in an automatic monitoring mode, which may not be something you can turn off. The bottom line is you could be engaged in radio communications on another channel, and someone else's DSC based distress call can make your radio change to channel 16 in response terminating your transmission in progress. Here is a safety bulletin that has just been issued:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/dsc.htm

RKCRWLR

Member II
Here is a link on the very subject... http://www.callipygia600.com/callnugget/allcruising/boatcards/medical.htm

I generaly agree with the info there with the exception of the "pan-medico" we were all taught in years past. I don't think its much in use these days and severe threats to crew or ship both go "may-day" now. A good and current First Aid/CPR class is going to go a long way. As you suggested, heaving to, assess the emergency and get help on the VHF and/or 911. The USCG et. al. are well prepared to take a quick GPS or otherwise position from you following a "may-day". If you have cell access, then speaker phone away. Even if not, call 911 and drop it near you. Talk.... they'll get the picture.

In a heart attack/heart stop situation, your not likely to bring them back with out a jolt. And you can only hold on with CPR a realatively short time. You'll give out and if you don't, the victim will. Therefor getting help on the way is imperative. You knowing help is on the way will give you strength and calmness to assit as long as your physically able. Trust me on this. Its a huge psychological advantage knowing your not goign to be alone long. Hope this NEVER happens to any of us:esad:. But kuddos to you for thinking about it and bringing it up to the resat of us!