How to get one's hull shining clearly?

omgirl

Member II
Ok... so my husband and I spent our first weekend with our new boat getting her ready for the season. We feel like we can hardly walk today as we are sore! We washed her down and then had to compound a good part of her hull and then waxed her as well.

We went to West Marine and got an Interlux light duty compound and used a 100% Canuba pure wax. On one side of the hull it seemed to work really well and shine right up. On the other side it was a more dull finish and you could see the 'swirls' when we were finished.

How do you get the 'swirls' to not show? We didn't know if it was because the hull had heated up a little bit during the day (high was in the mid 60's... so not really hot). We used rags to apply the liquid and then a round, thick synthetic pad on a drill to get the wax off.

She looks beautiful and much better than when we started but the 'swirls' that you can see when you look at her from an angle irk me. Am I being too high maintenance or is there a solution?

Also, we changed our anchor-light and put on new zincs... We are making progress. Hopefully no stupid new boat owner errors yet... but there is plenty of time for that!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I wonder if the wax or compound was getting too dry on the warmer side of the hull, and that didn't allow it to be removed as well?
Or perhaps if you weren't using a new buffing head on the drill the swirls could be a result of the dirty head picking up grime?

jkm

Member III
I bet that side was facing south or west.

Remember your Dad saying,"Don't wax your car in the sun" or in my case never wax your car

Tazman

Member I
Swirls showing in wax

We just hauled Tazman at Svendsens in Alameda to fix a crack in the rudder, install a transducer, have new bottom paint applied and finally wax (two coats) the hull. We experienced the same problem using Collinite wax. This was is very high in Carnuba and is very hard. I tried everything to get the wax perfect but could not get the swirls to go away. Then my wife suggested that I use one of the polishing cloths that we bought at the boat show in Alameda the previous day. YES I BOUGHT THE OVERPRICED CLOTHS FROM THE INFOMERCIAL GUY AT THE BOAT SHOW. I FELT LIKE AN IDIOT SPENDING 25 BUCKS FOR A 2 PACK BUT I REALLY ENJOYED THE VENDOR. The polishing cloth (made from pure dacron I believe) worked wondors. I think that they had enough abrasion to cut through the excess wax. Next time you see this act at the boat show, give him a couple of bucks.

:egrin:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I think I'll pass. My wife fell for those brooms with the rubber nubs instead of bristles, got "two for the price of one" and used one of them exactly once.

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

For years on my old boat which was a robin's egg blue colour, I used to use colour restorer, then two coats of wax. By the end of the weekend I could hardly lift my arms my shoulders were so sore. Then the one of the yacht maintenance guys in our local yard saw me doing it & said "You know you don't really have to do that you know". He explained he sold an acrylic compound which protects better, is easier to apply and rub off. So after about 3 years of the hard rubbing I decided to give it a try.
Well the difference was remarkable in every way. The stuff is easier to put on, much much easier to rub off. But the most impressive thing was what the boat looked like the next spring. With the old wax, my boat looked chalky & in need of a good polish. With the acrylic, it looked very very good come spring. In addition, over the years that I used it on my old boat (she was a 1972 C&C 27), the colour just seemed to get deeper and better with every year. People used to always ask me if the boat had been painted but she was the original gelcoat.
The product is called "Crystalglow acrylic marine finish" & I get it from our local guy here in West Vancouver - Performance Yacht Services 604 921 7975. I don't know if he has a website but I'm sure the stuff is available elsewhere.
I wouldn't use wax on my boat anymore if you paid me!!

Cheers,
Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silend Dancer
Vancouver, BC

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
How many years did you use that Steve? Never any problems with it peeling off?
Does it just wipe on/wipe off?

gabosifat

Member III
I think I used it for about 6 or 7 years. No it never peels off as it's not a coating like paint - you use it exactly like using wax - put it on with a damp cloth, rub it in, then wait for it to dry & buff it either by hand or with an electric buffer. If you've used wax then you'll know that if you put on too large an area in too hot a temperature then it can be a hard time to buff it out - this doesn't happen with the acrylic. The difference is the ease with which it goes on & buffs up as well as it's protection of the gelcoat which I think is far superior to wax. The first two seasons I used it I think I did the colour restorer first and then the Crystal Glow but after that I just used the Crystal Glow.

Steve