How to drain an Ice Box

jamnet

Member I
does anyone else have this problem ... we have a 36RH and the icebox/refrigerator drains via a through hull, however, the icebox lowest point seems to be below the waterline. hence when we try and drain the icebox and open the through hull valve water comes in from the through hull. Does anyone know how to solve this or are we just doing something incorrectly to drain the ice box?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
does anyone else have this problem ... we have a 36RH and the icebox/refrigerator drains via a through hull, however, the icebox lowest point seems to be below the waterline. hence when we try and drain the icebox and open the through hull valve water comes in from the through hull. Does anyone know how to solve this or are we just doing something incorrectly to drain the ice box?

Our '88 boat had an ice box drain hose that was open to the bilge. Very inefficient.
First thing we did was put a plastic ball valve on the hose end so that a) the cold air would stay inside the ice box, and b) we could drag that valve-n-hose out from under the galley counter and drain out the melt water into a sauce pan regularly and empty it into the sink.

Later I installed a refridgeration system and that valve has not been opened since. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I am not aware of any presumed advantage or reason to have another thruhull opening just for that purpose.
FWIW: On our prior boat the ice box drain hose went to a small manifold where we could choose that "source" and use the foot pump to pump it out into the galley sink.

Just some food (melt water?) for thought.

LB

Last edited:
pump it?

Sounds like you might have the arrangement I have on my 38. It is plumbed to pump out the icebox into the galley sink using the salt water foot-pump at the sink.

The icebox drain line is teed into the salt water supply line at a point between the thru-hull and the foot-pump. There are 2 small ball valves - one on the line to the icebox, the other on the line to the thru-hull. One blocks the drain line so you can pump salt water, while the other blocks salt water so you can pump the icebox into the sink.

We've accidently let salt water into the box with this arrangement - it wasn't good.

E33MikeOx

Member II
Don't know about the E-36RH - never had the occasion to inspect one. On our E-33RH, the factory instalation included two (2) foot pumps. On for salt water, and one for the ice box. Never used the salt water pump since we are on the Columbia River. The second foot pump pulls water from the ice box and dumps it into the sink. Used it so much the original wore out, and I had to replace it. Check your drain plumbing - I suspect that you may have the ability to pump our your ice box.

Mike O.
E-33RH JP Foolish, hull #25

jamnet

Member I
thanks for the replies ... going to check the foot pumps and see if I can drain the icebox from the saltwater one.
thanks again.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Ice Box (refrigeration) drain

Check the manuals in the documents section of EYO......if there is not one there specific to your boat, check the E35-3....there is a diagram showing the drains described in a previous message in this thread....

Hope this helps