How to adjust forestay tension with a Furlex installed?

knoisewater

Member I
I have a Furlex Type B Mk II installed on my Ericson 35 MKII. I recently replaced all the rigging (well... six months ago...) and realized that I have to adjust the forestay tension... But how do you do that with a roller furler installed? Here are two pictures (ignore the poorly wrapped furling line): http://imgur.com/a/CJd99 . I've consulted the product manual, but it doesn't mention *how* to adjust forestay tension, just that it should be tightened to 25% of its ultimate load (which corresponds to 20% for the backstay). I suspect I have to hold the top nut while adjusting the bottom one... but I've since learned I should seek advice before trying things out on my own first. Much appreciation.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I believe you establish the forestay length when you install the furler, and then all of the forestay and backstay tension is put in via the backstay adjuster.

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

Turn the bronze part

Turn the bronze part, look at your photo there is only one bronze part in the photo, it sticks out the bottom of the ss barrel. This is a sleeve within a sleeve type turnbuckle, (Rigging screw, same thing). Make sure that if there is a cotter pin installed which I think it was on some models, ( I am pretty sure it was not used on your model, but please make sure if it is there that you have removed it.) (DO NOT remove the roll pin in the photo).

You will need to have a wrench on the flat part of the rigging screw, which in your photo is about where the roll pin is in the photo. Loosed the backstay first, and see if you can get the roll pin above the flat spot by hand without too much force on the wrench that you will be using on the bronze part sticking out the bottom.

Once you have the roll pin above the flat spot on the SS barrel then you can use another wrench on the flat spot on the barrel and one on the bronze inner portion.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

No Cotter Pin

I just found the other photo you posted of the other side. There is no cotter pin on your unit.

The turnbuckle is fully extended, Loosed the backstay and tighten the bronze piece.

You will figure it out from there! (Ok maybe you wouldn't so here is your photo marked up.)

how-to-adjust-a-furlex-and-mess.jpg
Guy
:)

Last edited:

knoisewater

Member I
Guy, you are awesome. Why can't everything be in as plain English as you put it? That's awesome. I'll give that a go.

The reason why it's a bit out of whack is because when I had the rig replaced, I also removed a rotten and bent compression post, and replaced it with a welded Aluminum one. Problem is, the new mast step is somewhat higher than it was before... so the new rig didn't quite fit correctly at first. When I did the initial tuning of the rig, I did every stay except for the forestay due to not being able to figure it out... and because I thought if I just adjust the backstay, that'll in turn tighten the headstay. It sails just fine (raced on it and all that fun), but I really want to tune it up this season. Thanks folks.