How stabile is the mast with shrouds disconnected

EricD.

I have to repair the main bulkheads and plan on doing one side at a time, on the water with the mast still installed. My worry is how stabile the mast will be without the mains attached. I hope to take only a day or two per side, but would like to have an idea how much wind the mast could take if things go sideways.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
It would be cool if stabile were the opposite of labile. Oooo, but this is too cool and super germane:
  1. a freestanding abstract sculpture or structure, typically of wire or sheet metal, in the style of a mobile but rigid and stationary.
It might help to specify which boat you are discussing, but I’d guess it’s a keel-stepped one? In any case, you can almost always stabilize the mast with a halyard or two tied off to the rail (or stem or stern, as the case may be.). Good enough for sitting in the marina.

Slick470

Member III
Deck stepped will be less stable than keel stepped, but as toddster mentioned if you run a couple halyards to the toe rail on the side you have disconnected, you shouldn't have any issues in a marina.