How much VC17 for a 27?

Time to repaint the e27 I bought last summer. It has VC17 on it. About how much paint will I need to recoat it? (It looks pretty good right now - no major blemishes or bare spots.)

Gary Holford

Member II
I have an E27 on Huron and I'll use one can. That being said I start on the waterline (where I get the most fouling) and work around and down from there. I also do the rudder and the leading edge of the keel. Depending on how it's going you can do a thin coat on the rest of the keel. In my case it's cosmetic cause I don't race. Once you get started don't dilly dally, the carrier evaporates fast. The stuff is expensive and seems to go up every year. You could also have a second can on standby. If you don't need it save it for next season. Just remember that once mixed there's no turning back. Any leftovers I use when she's lifted off the cradle. Cheers

woolamaloo

Member III
One "Quart" covers my 30+. But, Gary's right, you've got to keep moving.

I've got a pretty good system:
  • Drink a quart of Powerade and rinse, dry and save the bottle. (I'm sure Gatorade would work but Powerade has become tradition.)
  • Mask off your boot stripe.
  • Squeeze the copper powder out of one corner of the baggie and cut off that corner.
  • Empty the copper powder into the dry quart bottle.
  • Shake the paint in the can and then empty the entire can into the bottle with the copper powder.
  • Shake, shake shake to mix the copper and the paint.
  • Pour about a quarter cup into a small paint tray designed for a 4" roller and use a 4" foam roller to paint the entire hull. You'll get about 3-4 loads of paint from that quarter cup before you have to put more paint in.
  • Of course, don't paint over your zincs or your depth sounder.
  • I consistently have about a half cup of mixed paint in the bottle after the hull is painted. I leave that bottle in my cradle with a foam brush and a Solo red cup for the yard guys to paint the bottom of the keel and the pad spots when they lift the boat out of my cradle.
  • Throw away the foam roller and wash the tray with the solvent of your choice.

The whole process takes me a little more than an hour. I always have an extra quart on hand - just in case. But I've never needed it. It's just what I use next year.

Jim
Woolamaloo
1985 E30+ Hull #685

OK. Good to hear that approx. 1 quart will do. As I said, it looks pretty good now, with no fouling or blemishes. Thank you both for the advice.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
FWIW, I got a good deal from Boatersland.com on VC-17M. Less than $50/per plus shipping and delivered to Saratoga County, NY the next day from Kellogg in CT which is a major distributor... reliable. All of the usual suspects were $60 or more.

I have no interest and no idea who they deal with in other regions.

Last edited: