How much Bottom Paint for E 38-200?

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I will be painting the bottom and was wondering if 3 gals was enough> Bottom is in great shape and I will be hauling in the fall, just wondering if 3 gals will get it done?

jmoses

Member III
Bottom Paint?

Ted,

From experience, I squeeze by with 1 gallon and 2 quarts for my E-35 MKII.
So, practically speaking, 2 gallons on the 35' works (I get a discount on the quarts as nobody buys them). My bottom is in good condition as well and 1.5 gallons allows for a double coat at the water line and on the front edge of keel and rudder (these areas take more abrasion).

I've used Trinidad SR "slime reduction" for the past two bottom jobs and have noriced the CA version (which I used last year) is not as good as the the NJ version I used three years ago. The NJ version stayed slime free for over a year, while the CA version barely made it 6 months. Other results may vary.

Hopefully, if you buy three Gal. (just in case) you may be able to return an unused can if it's left over (better safe than sorry by running out to buy bottom paint in middle of the job). I find open bottom paint doesn't keep real well after a while, not to mention the cost of keeping unopened bottom paint laying around ($200.00 a gallon now?).

John M.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Yep - my 35-3 took just under a 1.5 gallons - so I did 2 - and used the extra to overcoat the leading edges of the keel, rudder, etc.

//sse

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
FWIW, I paint my rudder white to prevent sun damage so while I can get away with one gallon (of blue), I always have to buy a quart of white for the rudder.

dwigle

Member III
stealing the thread

As far as quanity of paint, I think that 2 gallons would be about right. On my old boat (34x10x5.5) 0ne gallon would barely do it and two were overkill. I'm planning on two for the 38.

John M. and others with non-CA paint: Do you really think there is a difference in formulation for CA. Would it be worth it to have a friend bring paint from Nevada?

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E 38 hull #8
Pt. Richmond, CA

Dave Hussey

Member III
paint on E27 bum

...anybody know the quantity of paint needed for an E27 bottom and rudder?
Also, if there are any South Puget Sounder's out there, what are good or bad yards to haul out at? And what was your experience? (if you want to be candid, please reply to my email address: batduck@mindspring.com) Thank you.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hylebos Marina

Dave Hussey said:
...anybody know the quantity of paint needed for an E27 bottom and rudder?
Also, if there are any South Puget Sounder's out there, what are good or bad yards to haul out at? And what was your experience? (if you want to be candid, please reply to my email address: batduck@mindspring.com) Thank you.

I hauled out at Hylebos Marina/Yard on Marineview Drive. Not a bad facility - pretty friendly, etc. My only gripe was that the yard is not paved - so when it rains it gets muddy, etc - and when it's really dry and the wind blows dust comes up, blah, blah, blah.

//sse

Attachments

• DSC00026.jpg
    DSC00026.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 254

jmoses

Member III
CA Bottom Paint Vs. 49 other states?

Don,

In year 2000, Trinidad SR (Slime Reduction) bottom paint was not available here in CA. (I couldn't buy it anyway). So, what to do? I was in NJ and purchased 2 gallons of Trinidad SR and sent it out to CA. Amazingly enough, purchasing 2 gallons of Trinidad SR, (which weighd about 30 lbs each) and shipping it to CA from NJ was still cheaper that buying regular Trinidad paint here in CA. Note: Trinidad paint was on bottom when I purchased boat, so I stuck with it.

Now SR is available here in CA, but here's my observations given avergage use of about twice a month in summer and maybe once a month in winter over the course of two applications:

NJ Trinidad SR (applied 09/2000):

It was about a year before I had to take a brush to the water line to clean off scum. Then it was about 2 years when I needed a diver every 6 months to scrub the bottom. Then it was 3 years before the bottom required painting. I thought this was pretty good life for bottom paint.

CA Trinidad SR (applied 08/2003):

$$$$$ (but that's boating no?). Within 6 months, I needed to take a brush to water line. Due to shaft problems, the boat was hauled last year in Aug.(08/2004) and bottom was power washed clean as standard practice at yard. Now (03/2005), water line is actively growing slime after ~18 months of paint application.

Granted, I've used the boat less this winter, but I think I'd get better mileage out of the SR stuff than this? Maybe I have too high of an expectation for $200.00 a gallon paint? I don't think so given prior experience with Trinidad SR.

All things being equal (same slip, same boat, same application procedure, etc.), I am tending to think the CA version of Trinidad SR is not as good as the other 49 states. HOWEVER, this is not to say Petit did not change the formula everywhere to save money/cut cost and be competitive (which is known to happen). On the other hand, I'm thinking it was 'dumbed' down to get CA EPA approval. Then again, I could be wrong.

Next time I'm purchasing out of area.......Shhhhhh.....

My $200.00 a gallon's worth (x 2!).

John M.

As an aside, just look at the silly new gasoline jerry jugs that were foisted upon us Californians by C.A.R.B. Although I have used them with no problems, many folks are breaking the nozzles off when filling tanks, spilling more fuel than before, and generally dislike them. I'm sticking to my old jugs. Maybe I need to start an 'old gas jerry jug' and 'good bottom paint' import business into CA. ?