How is a "leech line" on a sail used?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I may have asked this before. My main sail has "leech lines" but I have never used them because I'm not sure how or when to do so...

Slick470

Member III
I'll give it a go. As the sail material stretches along the leach, it will start to flutter in increasing breeze. You put on just enough tension on the leach line to make the flutter stop. My understanding is any more than the minimum required tension can add stretch to the leach and make the problem worse, eventually cupping the leach and disturbing the flow over the sail. At that point, it's time to visit your favorite sailmaker.

dt222

Member III
Leech Line

Hi Mark,

Sometimes (particularly in a stiff wind) the sail has a perfectly balanced shape with the exception of the leech flapping a bit. If you snug up the leech line, it will often shape the trailing edge enough to stop the flap.

Don

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I haven't noticed the leech flapping before but I will keep an eye on it from now on. Thanks!

HughHarv

Hugh
flapping equals friction!

I think I read once that the flapping causes disturbed air flow at the trailing edge which may rob some boat speed, along with premature wear and tear on the leech?

I haven't noticed the leech flapping before but I will keep an eye on it from now on. Thanks!

Last edited:
Leech line tension...

Whomever said "tension it enough to take the flutter out" had it right. Make sure you also have telltales (one each) on the top three batten pockets. Otherwise, you cannot determine when the flow off the main. The tendency is to over trim the main. "When in doubt, let it out."

Morgan Stinemetz

Slick470

Member III

If you haven't noticed and you don't have brand new sails, try taking all of the tension off the leach line and trim your sails and you should notice some flutter. If not, you're lucky. It's much more noticable with the leach on genoas. The battens on mainsails will help control the leach tension more.