How far is too far?

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
For me at the moment it's a 45-50 minute drive to the YC and 15 minutes to the Delta. I have been spending summers in the delta and Fall, Winter, Spring on the SF Bay. Best of bay area sailing in my opinion. Although it's an 7-9 hour sail between the YC and where I stay in the delta. The trip up river is usually all downwind. The trip back is another story but I mostly sail the entire distance.

David Grimm

E38-200
If you're still at Pequannock on Aug. 18, maybe we can grab a beer. That's where we'll be docking for the night on our trip back from Block. (Even made a reservation at Shell and Bones.)

Our commute to Liberty Landing Marina can be as quick as 25 minutes, or as long as an hour. Generally it takes me a half hour. As with everything in the NY/NJ area, all depends on the traffic, construction work, and time of day. We chose that marina because it was close. Other marinas we looked at were further south in NJ, and the last thing I EVER want to do on a weekend is travel south on the Garden State Parkway. Might as well be called the Garden State Parking Lot on summer weekends.
I will definitely try and make it out to see you!

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
About 25 minutes, driveway to parking lot. Suburban roads which include the Newport Bridge, giving us a lovely view up and down Narragansett Bay and a preview of current conditions. Multiple restaurant, bar, and ice cream shop options along the way. Not too shabby. We could get closer, maybe 12 minutes, but we love the boatyard we're at now. Fun topic, Dave

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I trailer about 60 miles to the launch ramp, then it’s about 1.5 hours of setup. After a full weekend I’m pretty tired but the wife and kids love it so it makes it worthwhile. I’m about #170 on a waiting list for a dry dock. I’ll probably have bought a new boat by the time I get a spot : )

David Grimm

E38-200
I trailer about 60 miles to the launch ramp, then it’s about 1.5 hours of setup. After a full weekend I’m pretty tired but the wife and kids love it so it makes it worthwhile. I’m about #170 on a waiting list for a dry dock. I’ll probably have bought a new boat by the time I get a spot : )
I feel your pain!

debonAir

Member III
My Maine (Camden) mooring is 4 hours away. My "local" Beverly, MA mooring and YC is 1 hour (not rush hour) or 2 hours (rush hour) away. Both are North of us. Boat is about 1/2 time at each. There is nothing (IMHO) that compares to Maine sailing, at least on the East Coast. We usually stay 1 or 2 nights on the boat so the drive is more like "we're going to our vacation house and move it to yet another beautiful spot" vs. "gotta go check on the boat". One of these days we'll move between the two or drop one or the other perhaps.

It takes us 27+ hours to sail from one to the other (27 is the new record set last weekend, got a rare NNW wind at the end so only 10 hours of motoring total, tank is still on F), It takes just 3 hours to drive between the two.

Last edited:

Gaviate

Member III
Wow! I have 2 1/2 hours to winter storage, 3 1/4 hours to mooring and I would testify that THAT is to far!! I do believe tho, that its the best reason ever to quit work early on Fridays.....or take Friday off. :)

Gary Filgate

I'm one of the lucky ones. The Yacht Club is 30 minutes away, 40 minutes in traffic. My mooring is a 4 minute dinghy ride and the boat yard is 15 minutes. I had a Grampian 26 on a trailer for twenty years, and got spoiled keeping it in the driveway during the off season. I must admit that I was wishing everything was a bit closer, but after seeing how far some travel, I have a new perspective and am grateful for the (now) very short ride I have!

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
For now we spend a little more time than normal to get to Quincy moored in Seattle. We live in the thriving metropolis of Victor, Idaho on the eastern border with Wyoming. It’s a 12 hour drive or a 1.5ish hour flight. Luckily we are still racking up ff miles at work. We usually drive if we’re going to be out for more than a week, fly if less. There‘s a great guy across the dock from us named Alex who has been really helpful keeping an eye out for us, plus a long time local boat mechanic Ken who has been really helpful as well. Plan to spend more time on board once I back off the full time job in September.

David Grimm

E38-200
For now we spend a little more time than normal to get to Quincy moored in Seattle. We live in the thriving metropolis of Victor, Idaho on the eastern border with Wyoming. It’s a 12 hour drive or a 1.5ish hour flight. Luckily we are still racking up ff miles at work. We usually drive if we’re going to be out for more than a week, fly if less. There‘s a great guy across the dock from us named Alex who has been really helpful keeping an eye out for us, plus a long time local boat mechanic Ken who has been really helpful as well. Plan to spend more time on board once I back off the full time job in September.
We have a winner! Wow, I am totally impressed with your dedication. May there always be wind upon arrival and no ground or air traffic!

Last edited:

Bobby Steele

Member II
When we bought our first boat, it was moored in Salem, MA… a 4+ hour drive. We didn’t know how to sail yet, and while we searched for a skipper to help us transport it to Nyack, NY; we made the drive every Friday and stayed onboard til Sunday evening.
We’re musicians - so a 4 hour drive meant nothing to us. We found great local home made ice creams shops along the way.
2 hours is a hop, skip and jump for us crazies.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Discovery (E-30+) is a 55 minute ride from the house (MA to RI all highway). A few years ago Discovery was a 55 minute ride from Alexandria VA to Deale VA, so comparable. In VA, I was younger, employed, healthy, and the boat needed minimum maintenance. Now retired in MA, I am retired, in poor health with limited movement. With retirement, I had time to kill so I filled it with boat projects (rub rail replacement, re-core the bow, paint the top sides,...). For these reasons, distance and it's impact on travel time do make a world of difference when it comes my ability to properly maintain Discovery.