How do I turn down the volume on my electric fresh water pump?

Odelay

Member II
Silly question but, I am wondering if anyone has been able to reduce the noise from the pressure pump under the kitchen sink?

We live aboard our 1987 E34 and late night hand washing ends up waking the other partner up from a deep slumber.

I have thought maybe adding some rubber springs under the mounting bolts would help.

Im just curious if anyone else has a solution?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Noise and Pumps

I have found that the stock water system pump has one speed - noisy.
It also can have a relatively short half-life, as well. They are expensive, and we have been through at least three of them in two decades. The problem is that they have a pressure switch in them and when you turn on the tap, even a little, that drop in pressure turns on the pump.
Not pleasant for your 3 am head visit when the spouse is trying to sleep. :mad:

About ten years ago I added an accumulator tank to the system. This usually allows incidental water use to wash hands a couple of times a night without the pressure falling enough to actuate the pump.

If starting over now I would look at one of the newer technology variable-speed pumps. I am told that they are *much* quieter. I have no personal experience with one, however, so this is just hearsay.

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dunno if this applies, but a water pump should only run when the water is running. If it keeps running, there may be a leak in the system. Or maybe you can adjust the pressure setting (an adjustment screw) so it shuts off earlier.

But as Loren says, when they run, they do make noise. (Although a new one I installed last year was considerably more quiet when running than the old, beat-up one it replaced.

And most come with big rubber "floating" mounts--if yours are missing, that will make a big difference.

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
"Thelonious II, E38 hull 513 (1984)
Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here"

I was wondering if you bought it. Congratulations on the new baby.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I'm a very young man and haven't figured out the ways of the world, but if I don't want to wake the admiral I use the foot pump.

Not having had pressure water before Xanthus I usually only turn the pressure water on if I want hot water.

markvone

Sustaining Member
MY E33RH had a fresh water pump (diaphragm type, I believe) mounted behind the galley that was as loud as you describe. I could hear it any time it cycled on and it would cycle unpredictably even without water use when pressure dropped in the system.

My E36RH has a Shurflo centrifugal pump mounted at the tank under the galley-side settee and I can barely hear it from 1 foot away with all the covers and cushions removed. Normally, I can not tell it's running. The model number is not handy but I can get it if needed. Looks like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...content=342811&ci_src=328768002&ci_sku=342811

I do remember the diaphragm pump had higher pressure (like home) but I really don't notice the flow or pressure are a problem with the current centrifugal pump.

Secondly, diaphragm pumps can generate more suction head, they can pull water higher and further, so they can be mounted remotely from the supply tank. Centrifugal pumps push water better than pulling so they are mounted close to and near the same height as the supply tank.

Mark

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Like Tom, I turn it off at night and use the foot pump. That little tripping hazard becomes useful. There is one advantage to the noisier pump. You know if there is a leak in the system.

Odelay

Member II
Thanks everyone
We named our pump "The angry Troll"

We do usually use the foot pump in the night time. But it would be nice if when I was doing the dishes after our dinner the Troll was not screaming at me the whole time.

I had a look at the pump and it appears to be the original system (says 8/86 on it)

And yes it does only run every 15 minutes for a little pressure boost when we aren't running the sink.

I I priced the new style pump so maybe when we get some spare cash I will upgrade
:)

Vagabond39

Member III
Water Pump

Odelay:
Is the water pump mounted with resilant mounts, like the engime?
Or is it mounted on a section that can flex, like a sounding board?
The motion of a diaphram pump must stop and start twice each cycle.
These are two sources of mechanical irritation.
Bob

Odelay

Member II
It is mounted under the galley sink on the teak. So it is adding a considerable amount of noise reverberating like a sub woofer in an enclosed speaker box.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
As an aside, he manual pump on the 34 pulls only from the port tank so everyone might consider how they pull down their tanks.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Variable Speed Pump

I replaced the fixed speed (original?) noisy one with a variable speed pump about 9 years ago. I also ditched the now unnecessary accumulator at the same time to remove the additional point of failure/leaks. If you just trickle the water out of the faucet you can just barely hear the pump. If you run the water full blast, it is still pretty loud.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
As an aside, he manual pump on the 34 pulls only from the port tank so everyone might consider how they pull down their tanks.

We keep the pump on the starboard tank and it is always a race to empty it before the port tank through the foot pump. The pressure pump would never win if we didn't use lake water for most general use.

Some years ago a railroad track washed out and a tank car with 65,000 gallons of good Canadian whiskey went into the lake. I've been using more lake water ever since. :cheers:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
"good Canadian whiskey"? not sure I've ever heard of such a thing... :p

As I said before, I'm a very young man and not sure of everything I know for sure, but I thought all free whiskey... Oops, whisky (Canadian, eh?) is good. Some better than others, but all good.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Whisk(e)y and old age

As I said before, I'm a very young man and not sure of everything I know for sure, but I thought all free whiskey... Oops, whisky (Canadian, eh?) is good. Some better than others, but all good.

Speaking of free (and well aged) liquor.... one of my friends - we often crew on each other's boats - always has a bottle of Knob Creek aboard. Seems like pretty good stuff, but I drink so little in a year that I would not know for sure.
We keep a bottle of Meyers Rum on board our boat for visitors and any sort of medical emergency (!).

Loren

ps: I must be old... I actually have a T shirt that reads:
Geezer: not young, not dead, somewhere in between.

Last edited: