How do I add an Oil Pressure Gauge? Univ M25

sailorman37

Member II
I have the 5416 (Kubota block) and did need the 1/8" BPT adapter you mentioned. Like you, don't know why they used British threads, but it did solve the issue.

Emerald

My recollection is it's not a standard thread on the Yanmar, and I'm wracking my memory, but BSP sounds right. I am not where my notes are, but I will try to check into this and update what I used. Hopefully can figure this out tonight/tomorrow and get back to you - and I realize you don't have a Yanmar, but working on the theory that this has to do with the blocks being of Asian origin.

Last edited:

Emerald

Are you still looking for an adapter? I wasn't able to get down to Emerald this weekend. Let me know, and I'll make another attempt.

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Are you still looking for an adapter? I wasn't able to get down to Emerald this weekend. Let me know, and I'll make another attempt.

David - I am still looking for an adopter. I can trim sails, handle the wheel, climb masts, fetch beer, make dark & stormies, and lots of other notable attributes. I have some Chesapeake experience, along with ocean and Great Lake sailing experience. Resume on request.

Emerald

Hi Tom,

that sounds great, and if you're down this way, we ought to throw back some dark 'n stormies. I'm afraid it won't help with the quest for an oil pressure adapter though...

:egrin:

Emerald

I wouldn't trust Tom on engines now that he admits being an oar fan.

yeah, I have a feeling we'd find ourselves up a creek without the proverbial paddle

Also getting suspicious of this adoptions stuff. I have a feeling he'll end up like my other kids hanging out chatting with friends and stuff, and the kitchen floor just never gets the mopping that is promised....

:0

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
1/8 in BSPT Thread

The adapter from I bought from Ebay came in yesterday. It's a perfect fit so now I know that, at least on my block, the oil pressure switch port is tapped to 1/8-28 British Standard Pipe Tapered thread.

Also had a local shop fabricate a pressure hose for me. I'll run the hose from the adapter to a tee-fitting fastened down to the bell housing somehow. That way, I can add a second pressure switch or a pressure sender some day.

The previous helpful comments from you guys have talked me out of the oil pressure gauge for now, though. Like several have said, the gauge is still not going to save you unless you happen to be staring at it if/when oil pressure drops. Better to just wire a buzzer to the pressure switch to sound out a warning if that happens.

Since I'm still putting the exhaust manifold back together from changing out the alternator bracket, I decided to add a bolt-on block temp alarm, too. Aqualarm sells a nice panel with a block temp light and an oil pressure light wired to a singe buzzer--with a mute button. A little pricey, but I thought it was just the ticket for me. I plan on shaving down the sides enough to allow the panel to fit where the ammeter now sits on the engine panel. I'll be pulling the ammeter and jumping the alternator output to the starter post (as is frequently recommended on this site) when I get things all put back together.

20170404_140037.jpg 20170404_140056.jpg 20170404_182417.jpg

Adapter, yes, adopter, no. I still have two at home part-time already--hard to find time to get to the boat sometimes......

Emerald

The previous helpful comments from you guys have talked me out of the oil pressure gauge for now, though. Like several have said, the gauge is still not going to save you unless you happen to be staring at it if/when oil pressure drops. Better to just wire a buzzer to the pressure switch to sound out a warning if that happens.

I'm going to break rank and say still put the gauge in and keep the buzzer. I think having an oil pressure gauge and knowing what pressures are normal for your engine is a good thing, and when for some reason you start seeing a low pressure that is not typical of a given RPM etc, you potentially get a heads up something is amiss before you're really out of luck. I'm generally looking at long term trends on engine health here, not a catastrophic event, which is what would kick the buzzer.