Housekeeping

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have used mild soap and warm water.
Strong solvents like acetone are a bad idea... !

Loren

davisr

Member III
This was an unending problem in my refitting of Oystercatcher, as she sat tented under a large oak tree in the subtropical climate of the Carolina Lowcountry. I read numerous vinegar vs bleach debates on other forums. Some said a vinegar-water solution would clean it up and make it never come back. Others said the same for a bleach-water solution. I used both. They both worked, but neither prevented the mildew from coming back. Straight vinegar was much more effective. I eventually got tired of that vinegar smell and came to prefer that crisp and sanitary smell of bleach. Nevertheless, I still keep bottles of both handy in the hanging locker. I don't have nearly the same problem that I used to have now that the boat is on the water, but that's mostly because I keep an air conditioner running, even when I'm away from the boat. Fortunately, we've finally reached the time of year when I can cut the a/c off.

Roscoe

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2537.JPG
    DSCN2537.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 299

rpm

Member II
Dirty overhead.

Yep. We tried Murphys Soap and two retail cleaners today. No joy. I got advice about vinegar and water like you said but too late to try it today. It's amazing the fabric is still taut and in tact. Next time bleach or vinegar followed by baking soda to cut the acid. Stay tuned. Thanks.

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Cleaning the Vinyl Headliner

If your problem is just old soil......not mildew or mold what I used to clean the overhead was Lysol Basin Tub and Tile cleaner......it does not foam.....sprays on and if it hits varnish or fabric it does not hurt them......wipes off with a damp sponge....towel, or microfiber cloth....

FWIW.....worked for me.....the headliner was FILTHY when I got the boat.....now I just wipe it down with a damp microfiber towel.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Have dealt with this for years here in FL. I use a spray bottle with 50/50 bleach and water. Spray on, wait a few seconds and it wipes right off. We also keep a container of Clorox wipes. They work great for the mold.

Another great eat trick one of my dockmates shared with me is the use of Damp Rid. It comes in two types, a plastic container and hanging bags. Use the hanging bags. It keeps the moisture way down and makes the cabin smell fresh.

Beezer

Clorox cleanup. A damn miracle. My headliner was BLACK from mold since the boat sank on land and sat full of water for years. This stuff is a miracle and it is now white as the driven snow. Literally pure white no hint of discoloration. The only caveat is that the stuff is toxic. Wear a dust mask and goggles or you will feel like crap from breathing it in and your eyes will gunk up from being eaten by whatever is in there besides bleach. YOu must wear a respirator ndn goggles otherwise don't buy it. Cleans like none other though.

Slick470

Member III
Our best guess is that a previous owner of our boat was a smoker. Thankfully no smells related to that, but the vinyl headliner has light brown stains in some places, leaving a somewhat mottled appearance. I've tried pretty much everything that I can think of from mild to downright nasty to try to get them to go away. In some areas the staining has lessened, but never goes away.

Anyone used vinyl paint to freshen it up?

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
Clean vinyl headliner

I have an E34. My original boat manuel recommends using 409 cleaner. It works great and will not harm anything!