Hot to Cold

mjsiega

Does anyone know what effect on the hull would be in taking a boat that lived its life in Florida and moving it to a new home in New England? I've heard that warmer waters are more condusive to blister formation but haven't heard of the effects on fiberglass from long term hot, to long term cold sea water. Thanks.

-mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
IT...Depends....

Having done all my boating in the Pacific NW, my advice is mostly annecdotal. But I have bought a boat up in BC and brought it south, and bought another in SF and had it trucked north to Oregon.
I read where it is common for hulls to show blistering shortly after moving from salt to fresh water, and that would be consistant with both the boats I "imported" to our river sailing venue. The blisters were not terrible, but within the first few years I did have to open, fill, and fair some. None have reappeared on either boat.

As to buying a boat in a warm salty region, I would see the far (!) greater concern as overall UV degredation of everything plastic from the waterline upwards. That's the reason boats in the southern US are always cheaper than the ones north of lat. 47. Often a LOT cheaper.
Whether it's the gel coat on the deck, the hatch lenses, or any other plastics, the more-equitorial UV is hard on 'em.

It gets back to price. If the boat is over 20 years old, and you have enough $ slack in the difference between what you pay and what the market value for a turn-key model is, then buy it and refurbish over the course of the first few years. (If the only way you can have the work done is at boatyard rates, this logic may preclude all boats costing more than zero, however.) :rolleyes:

Sidebar: IMO, one of the reasons we see repeated narratives on this site about restoring "classic" Ericsons is that these boats have the design and initial construction reputation to justify personal time and effort later.

Good luck on your decision, and keep us informed.

Best,
Loren in PDX

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Water Temp

Mark- I have never heard of issues that risen because of a boat being transplanted to a different water temp situation. A boat in the lower lats will take on u.v issues there. In the colder climates freezing water plays many tricks on boats, especially if it gets in places that you it shouldnt be. Rob Hessenius

jkm

Member III
Mark

Loren always explains it well. UV raises hell with the gelcoat. My 35 which is over 30 years of age has lived in SoCal it's short life and UV has degraded the gelcoat.

This can be corrected with time and money.

On the other hand the interior, wiring, fixtures, etc is like a five year old.

I have not a drop of moisture in my bilge, nor a single leak when it rains, though I do get ash from the occasional fire in the hills.

I'll say this, there are trade offs between northern and southern boats, I'm very happy with what I have and so will you.

John

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
John you never have a drop of moisture in your bilge? Is this because it never rains in sother california? I assume your mast is keel stepped?