Holes in the TAFG

C.A. Fields

E38 "NIMUE"
Hi and Merry Christmas everyone.
Any thoughts or experience out there regarding drilling holes in the triaxial force grid? Reason I'm asking, as you all know, it's very difficult to run cables or hoses forward and aft in the E-38 and I would like to run hydronic hoses from aft to the v-berth locker. It would require two hoses and I'm thinking a 1 inch hole each side of the main grid structure in the middle of the boat shouldn't be a factor in the overall strength of the grid. I replaced my cabin sole with a completely removable floor a few years ago so getting at the grid isn't a problem.
Thoughts??
C.A. Fields
"Nimue" E-38

Last edited:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
My boat came from the factory with 2" holes drilled in the TAFG for the bilge pump hoses and also smaller holes for access to the bilge. I enlarged the bilge access holes so can actually get my hand into the bilge. I would say as long as the holes you cut have rounded edges to prevent stress from migrating to one point and as long as you keep the holes to about the bottom third of the TAFG nearest the skin you should be fine I would think.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
About a decade ago I carefully ground downward the limber holes in our floors (hat sections, actually) to get those 1" limber holes to transfer bilge water more effectively. No observed ill effects. I did stop short of the flange parts.

Loren

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wouldn't hesitate. Aircraft parts are drilled full of holes for weight reduction. I think it's the shape of the structure of the TAFG that matters, and it has plenty of reserve integrity.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We have factory holes and custom holes (doughnut holes and..,,,,,,,,)

No probelmo! Just don't drill south...

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I wouldn't hesitate. Aircraft parts are drilled full of holes for weight reduction. I think it's the shape of the structure of the TAFG that matters, and it has plenty of reserve integrity.

Ericson apparently didn't care about drilling holes. Drilling one hole above the other would seem bad practice if there was a strength concern.

Attachments

• floor 5 B1.jpg
    floor 5 B1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 189