Holding pump out

HerbertFriedman

Member III
Fist time pumping out the holding tank, need advice on what to do after tank is emptied. Do I stick the suction pipe into seawater for a second to clean out the line? And do I add clean fresh water into the holding tank and pump that out, if so do I add the fresh water into the toilet and use the hand pump to transfer that into the tank and if so how much water? Or do I dump clean fresh water into the pump out port and if so, do I add vinegar or some other head treatment?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If there is another person on board while the deck pump out is running, they can pump water thru the head and into the tank. This clears out any remaining waste in the line and the valve. The added clean water in the tank then gets pumped out.
Also, some folks use a hose (handle it with gloved hands!) to partly fill the tank from the deck fill after initially emptying the tank; then pump it out again.

Note: never use a hose for filling your water tank if it's attached to the hose bib anywhere near the pump-out station...
:0

As for the suction pipe, yes indeed - put it into the water and let it pump some clean water through the piston pump and hoses.

Cheers,
Loren

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I'm pretty anal about our holding tank (excuse the pun). Our marina provides free pump out at our slip but they don't do a very good job so when we come in from a trip I stop at a nearby marina and do it myself. I then fill the tank half full with fresh water and repeat twice. No smell

I also, wipe the toilet and surrounding area with bleach and rinse with a hose. No bleach in the bowl (Raritans don't like bleach).

Also use Odorloss

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I always flush the holding tank about three times, pumping each fill out, while at the pumpout dock.

I carry a special hose for that.

Completely nnecessary, since I never leave spoil in the tank more than a day or two, anyhow. And everybody uses Odorlos (a popular tank additive).

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Our pump-out closes down in October and doesn't reopen until about May. :esad:

I almost forget that that I even have a head on board...

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
I always flush the holding tank about three times, pumping each fill out, while at the pumpout dock.

I carry a special hose for that.

Completely nnecessary, since I never leave spoil in the tank more than a day or two, anyhow. And everybody uses Odorlos (a popular tank additive).

I rinse at least three times, also. After adding several gallons of rinse water, I make sure I "rock the boat" vigorously to slosh the rinse water around inside as well as possible. One foot on the toe rail while standing on the dock, press down, release, press down, release, & you can get a good rocking motion going.

I can't say I like the idea of carrying a dedicated dirty hose around with me just to use my own hose. The hose at the pump out is guaranteed dirty, yes. So use a pair of dispo gloves. Once you use your own hose, it's dirty too.