HIN on boats prior to 1970??

Sway

Wondering if anyone knows if the HIN is stamped anywhere on the older boats. I have a 1969 E30-1.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I do not believe so. Info on the web indicates that it was required after November of 1972.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The concept of a HIN, like a VIN, being a long standardized set of numbers and letters establishing manufacturer, model, length, and date of manufacture, didn't exist before 1972. But manufacturers did tend to need to keep track of different hulls to a certain degree. My '69 has the hull number, 112, written in pencil on the inside of some of the cabinetry, but it physically appears on the boat nowhere else that I'm aware.

When I registered the boat in my name in California in 1991, after buying it from the previous owner, it received an official legal HIN that had nothing to do with anything. I subsequently moved the boat across the country and registered it in PA and NY and that number was lost.

bradh

Member II
Hin

The previous owner of my boat, owned my 1972 (E35) for something like 20 years; so he did not need a HIN. But when I purchased the boat 2 years ago, I had to apply for a HIN from the state (Ohio) for title. They gave me 2 metallic adhesive backed plates. One for the transom and one to hide on the hull.

The rudder post number is the hull #, different than the very long HIN number.

Brad