Hidden spaces...

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Following up on the "most useful mods" thread, I was wondering Where have people found hidden spaces and how did you put them to use? As space is at a premium on a boat it would be interesting to see what the masses have uncovered. My contribution to start this off are two. On my 35-2 there is an empty void above the bookshelf on the starboard bulkhead that was large enough to build in the am/fm radio. Also there was an empty space in the head above the cabinet between the sink and linen closet that I filled with a drawer 9" wide 3 1/2 " high and 12'' deep. I look forward to hearing about your finds! Edd:egrin:

Glyn Judson

Hidden spaces in the E31.

Edd and others, especially Ericson Independence 31 owners (hulls #26 through #72). #1. There is an enormous hidden space in these boats that can easily accommodate close to 10 to 12 rolls of paper towels. It's accessed by removing the drawer over the holding tank and on to the love seat cushion. The void in and to the left of that opening is what I speak of. It's totally open and unused and that's where we stow our paper towel rolls and the 4 ounce packets of Odorlos crystals. After filling the space, the drawer can then be easily reinserted, closed shut and none the wiser. #2. I hope most of us know of the false door in the bottom of the galley island. By lifting it out, a very large if not slightly awkwardly accessible dead storage space exists beneath virtually hidden to the world. #3. Then applicable to the entire E31 fleet, the footwell located directly aft of the starboard settee, when enclosed with some minor cabinetry makes for a wonderful extra gel cell battery space or storage for anything else for that matter. One battery can be located there in the upright position while a second one outboard of it has to lean against the slope of the hull. That's all I can think of for now, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Olson ideas

There is a space beneath the aft cabin berth on our O-34 where I was able to install a custom battery box for a "spare" starting battery. It's an AGM spiral cell, since there is no practical way to add water to a flooded battery once it's installed. (Full disclosure: this idea was copied from Mike's E-33, who did a similar install.)

While not "hidden" per se, I did find quite a bit more room under the nav seat by removing the drop-in factory frp container that was put there for storage. There was enough room there to glass in a shelf and place a new water heater there.

The other hidden place, as it were, in all the Olson 34's is a dead space beneath the settee fresh water tank. The factory glassed a 4X4 to the hull to support the sloping side of the chosen Ronco tank and wasted quite a bit of room. I ground out the support wood and replaced the stock 23 gallon tank with a custom ss tank that holds 38 gallons. When full, this also cures the port list that the O-34's are heir to.
:cool:

LB

Last edited:

C. Trembanis

Member III
Empty space

There is a space beneath the aft cabin berth on our O-34 where I was able to install a custom battery box for a "spare" starting battery. It's an AGM spiral cell, since there is no practical way to add water to a flooded battery once it's installed. (Full disclosure: this idea was copied from Mike's E-33, who did a similar install.)

While not "hidden" per se, I did find quite a bit more room under the nav seat by removing the drop-in factory frp container that was put there for storage. There was enough room there to glass in a shelf and place a new water heater there.

The other hidden place, as it were, in all the Olson 34's is a dead space beneath the settee fresh water tank. The factory glassed a 4X4 to the hull to support the sloping side of the chosen Ronco tank and wasted quite a bit of room. I ground out the support wood and replaced the stock 23 gallon tank with a custom ss tank that holds 38 gallons. When full, this also cures the port list that the O-34's are heir to.
:cool:

LB

I discovered an empty space as well the one between my left ear and right
ear now what to put in there hmmmmm.....

wolly bugger

Member II
empty space

I guest the E27 and E25 are build with more similarity then I first thought. I got the same empty space. LOL:egrin:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
For the E23 mk1 owners, you can see what I did in the Community section under Pictures and Albums then "Coaster".

I'd like to access the same area (behind the settee backs) on Lotus Flower, E27. Has anyone done that?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Hidden space by the stove on E38-200

On the E38-200 model, in the galley, port side, aft next to the bulkhead to the aft cabin, is this silly little tilt-out compartment that I guess is meant to be a trash bin - but is way too small to be useful. The space behind it, however, next to the stove - is huge.

Unscrew the hinges holding it in place and pull the whole thing out, then remove the box from the panel front, and then just remount the panel. Now when you open the panel you have access to a pretty big area that is perfect for dry goods.

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
E-27

For the E23 mk1 owners, you can see what I did in the Community section under Pictures and Albums then "Coaster".

I'd like to access the same area (behind the settee backs) on Lotus Flower, E27. Has anyone done that?

Mark,

I don't have pictures handy, but the PO took a jigsaw to the settee backs and cut access doors. If memory serves me, there is about 4" or so of space at the bottom and about an inch at the top. I use it to store my bosuns chair, harnesses, and misc. canvas. I will try to remember to take pictures so you can see before you decide to cut away.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Anoyher in the 35-2 the wall port of the nav station. It is 8 " deep ant more than 18 wide at the top and tapers down over about 14 inches or so

Walter Pearson

Member III
Settee Back Storage

I'm also interested in adding storage compartments behind the settee backs. Anyone have any tips, tricks, or traps for doing this? Seems to me I read something about this long ago, but can't seem to find anything for guidance using searches. I would guess there is a limit to the areas that can be cut out and trade offs as to how many hinging back sections would be made. Am I correct in assuming it would be best to have bags or nets to retain items and not put anything in there that would create any rigidity between liner and hull?

Walter Pearson
'76 E27

Glyn Judson

Hidden spaces in the E27.

Edd and all, Your thread reminds me of a friend years ago who bought his E27 for $6,000.00 and within the first few months, began some improvements including adding stereo speakers in the cabin. That necessitated removing the mahogany panels that cover the raceways in order to run the wires. It was close-in work and as such, he took his glasses off so when reaching back and discovering a slip of paper, he swept it past his eyes and handed it to his wife Edith. She exclaimed to him "Lloyd, this is a $100 bill". He ran into some other papers, handed them to Edith who exclaimed that they were two $50 bills. So from that point on we would refer to to it as their $5,800.00 boat. Check those raceways!! Glyn

Walter Pearson

Member III
Good story. I've had those panels off more times than I want to admit and the things I discovered most often were glass fibers with just enough polyester resin around them to cause puncture wounds. I've often wondered how I will be judged as a PO by the next owner, but your story gives me a clue as to how to soften the blow as he and/or she is ripping out one of my projects that just didn't work out. But I think I'll hide something smaller than $50s and $100s.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
I've used the space behind my port settee back to house my battery charger, inverter, water heater and there is still room for a watermaker. While it is not a "hidden space" , it is not realy conviniently accessed either. It did however alow me to not use up more easily accessed compartments, there by keeping with the sperit of the thread by making the boat SEEM bigger by not wasting the volume. Edd

toddbrsd

Sorry for the Delay

Mark,

I don't have pictures handy, but the PO took a jigsaw to the settee backs and cut access doors. If memory serves me, there is about 4" or so of space at the bottom and about an inch at the top. I use it to store my bosuns chair, harnesses, and misc. canvas. I will try to remember to take pictures so you can see before you decide to cut away.

I finally remembered to take some pictures of the hack job the PO did to the back of the settees. At least it is covered most of the time. Identical on the starboard side.

Attachments

• CIMG0853.jpg
    CIMG0853.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 97
  • CIMG0857.JPG
    CIMG0857.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 95
  • CIMG0854.JPG
    CIMG0854.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 99

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Woah, I have often thought about that space behind the settee backs, but I would have to rip out the upholstery to get to it. Looks like a lot of space. :0

toddbrsd

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the photos. How does your settee back attach?

My settee back is basically a piece of plywood that has been upholstered. at the bottom corners, there are "brackets" similar to the attached picture, although the "male" part is not a 90 degree angle as shown. I couldn't find the exact bracket on the internet, but you probably get the picture.

Because of the angle of the settee, the back pretty much stays up against the fiberglass. However, on the top of the settee back, there are 3 straps (2 to 3 inches long) attached. On the other end of the strap is a snap that snaps to its mate on the fiberglass.

If this does not make sense, I can take a picture next time.

Attachments

• Perko Bracket.jpg
    Perko Bracket.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 415

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks Todd. Sounds like a good system. Do they stay put in heavy weather? Looks like a project in my future :).

toddbrsd

Thanks Todd. Sounds like a good system. Do they stay put in heavy weather? Looks like a project in my future :).

It should be fine, there is not much room for things to get flung about, but have not been in any kind of heavy weather to speak from personal experience. Good Luck.