Help

Spalding

Just received (traded for) an E-32 1969
I am not new to sailing or to major maintenance projects however, I have no info past what I found on this site and Moyer marine.

My A4 is close to trash and I am reviving it (I think) however the mounts are in very bad shape.
Boat is in the water, has anyone pulled the engine to replace the engine stand while in the water.

Still searching for the HIN, saw it once while in the recesses of the boat, but now I cannot find it again.

I will need a new mast as Wilma damaged mine beyond use.
Any help will be put to very good use!

tenders

Innocent Bystander
This is the best site for most Ericsonia but there's still some information on the 32s on my website, which I haven't updated in years, at:

http://www.geocities.com/tpe2/ericson.htm

My 32 is also a '69, #112. The hull number is written in pencil on the back of various pieces of cabinetry, like the access door cut near the floor of the sink in the head.

Up to the point at which you have to pull the shaft, it's entirely possible to pull the engine and do mount repairs and rebuilding with the boat in the water.

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Its not hard to pull the engine out of 32-2s. The hardest part will probably be disconnecting the shaft. You can remove the manifold, the flywheel cover, the exhaust flange, and the head to lighten things up. The block ways about 220lbs IIRC. You'll have to remove some cabinetry to slide it out.

We removed the engine for rebuilding and reinstalled while the boat was in the water.

Once you get it out it will be easy to evaluate whether its rebuildable or not.

Last edited:

Spalding

help nervous

Thanks,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:oops:ffice:oops:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I will look for the numbers on all the wood again. Florida assigned a homemade vessel number to it in the title.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I have not figured out where to disconnect the shaft yet i think the three allen head bolts and after that I am concerned about hitting the thru-hull fixtures<o:p></o:p>
I have already pulled the exhaust, head, starter, alternator and so on.<o:p></o:p>
I have no experience with a V-Drive unit engine removal, once the shaft is disconnected will it slide back, fall out or leak profusely?<o:p></o:p>
What did you use to lift the engine out?<o:p></o:p>
I will check out your site. Thanks for the URL, found it once but did not book mark it, now I will<o:p></o:p>
The boats name was Serena Dawn if anyone has any knowledge of it I would enjoy hearing it

CaptDan

Member III
When we had the engine mounts redone and new exhaust system installed, the A4 was lifted out of the bed with a 2x4 positioned awthwartships across the cabin top over the companionway, and block and tackle attached to hoist the engine. The motor was walked forward 'in the slings' and rested atop the tarped salon table. The rest of the salon was tarped off and turned into a 'paint shed.'

The old engine mounts/pig irons were ground out and replaced, a new shaft installed in the first three days, and on the fourth day, a new manifold went on the engine, and the whole block was spray painted 'GM Red.'

When the paint dried, the motor was hoisted back into its box, remounted, and the shaft was coupled and aligned.

So yes, a lot can be done while the boat is in the water.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Disconnect the coupling from the transmission flange and that will make it impossible for the shaft to slide out of the packing box. You can also use a hose clamp around the shaft to block it from sliding back. IF there is a leak after the shaft is removed from the engine you can adjust the packing box and stop the leak (if you do this make a note to readjust after the engine is back in, this would be a good time to replace the packing)

You can suspend the engine from a piece of pipe and use a couple of your big friends to lift the engine out; this process will be brute force. Placing plywood for protection of the surfaces that the engine may be lowered on during this process is a good idea.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
V-Drive

Spalding, you may want to edit your messages here to get the gobblygook out of them to make them more readable.

I noticed you mentioned V-Drive. Most Ericsons came with straight shafts, but a few, like yours, used a V-Drive. I have no idea how they are hooked up or problems you might encounter.