help with throttle cable replacement E 35

randyfish

I'm the new owner of an 1978 E 35 w/yanmar diesel engine. Going over the boat discovered the throttle cable /housing is shot and I want to replace it. Looks simple enough to remove the cable from the engine, but the end in the binnacle has a set screw holding the housing and is difficult to get to. Before I go to deep, does anyone have any advice on this subject? Thanks in advance..

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Throttle Cable Replacement

If you have the same YS Pedestal that I have on a 35-3, then you have to dismantle the entire binacle.

The compass has to come out, and there is a bracket(for lack of a better description) that is bolted in that has to be unbolted to remove the cable. Also, the throttle lever.....

I used an electricians fish tape which I attached to the old cable and then pulled the cable out through the pedestal and the new cable I attached to the fish tape and pulled it back....

This is what I encountered on mine......and while I had the whole mess apart I replaced the shifter cable also.....used two fish tapes at the same time....

Not a fun job......good luck