Help, please with Whaler gusher manual pump repair

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
The Whaler gusher manual pump for pumping out the holding tank gave way, and I need some advice on repair/replacement. Specifically, the handle attaches to a bolt which goes through the diaphragm which is sandwiched between two clamping plates (according to the diagram). The whole thing is held together by a nut, which seems to have loosened and fallen off into the bottom of the hull (ie. non-retrievable). Can someone advise if this is simply a matter of buying a replacement stainless steel nut and reassembling it, or is it a special part, or are there other considerations?
Any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank.

Jeff Meier

Member II
rebuild kit..

same thing happened to me. i don't think the nut is stainless, maybe anodized aluminum..? it was very light and black in color. i couldn't find anything else that would thread on to the bolt so i bought the rebuild kit for that pump. make sure you are getting the right kit that contains that part, they have a couple different kits.

Shadowfax

Member III
I went through this a little while ago. I put it all down under the heading of "The Horror". Enter that title in search and that should answere all your questions. BTW the nut is plastic.

Have fun

Lawdog

Member III
I just rebuilt both pumps (cockpit and head)and all the hoses in the head and leading from the holding tank. There is an eyebolt that joins the two metal plates between the rubber gasket/cover and has a pin at the top that attaches to the pump bracket, which holds the rod. The rebuild kit includes the eyebolt and the two metal plates. Usually the eyebolt (plastic) gives out or strips, but the manufacturer, located in Ireland, will only sell the rebuild kit, which retails for about $90- but can be bought for about $50 to $75. I contacted the manufacturer and there is a 2 year warranty, so if you need a warranty item, contact the manufacturer in Ireland, othewise you are out of luck, as I was, and had to deal with local dealers. I was upset that they refuse to sell only the 50 cent eyebolt. Someone should manufacture them here and sell them for $10 bucks, a bargain compared tothe rebuild kit price, and they could make a mint.

Ray Rhode

Member III
Frank,

When you order the kit make sure to order the kit with the Nitrile diaphragm. It is intended for holding tank duty and will last longer than the standard Neoprene diaphragm.

Ray Rhode
S/V Journey
E35-III, #189