Help in understanding principles of water lift muffler system for 32-2?

BilgeRat

I would think this has been covered before on this forum. Just hoping someone might be able to point us there, specifically for this hull? Still have the gas A4.

I replicated the original standpipe system out of steel but am wondering now if there is a better set-up before I re-install this. Don't want to drown this rebuilt A4.

Thank you in advance!

Jay and Ebben

Last edited:

Emerald

Hope this helps get you oriented. Water from cooling the engine is injected into the exhaust at a mixing elbow. From there, it goes to the water lift muffler - think of the goose neck in your toilet - the muffler fills to a point, and then any extra water is pushed through the system with the pressure of the exhaust gas and out the exhaust pipe overboard. A couple generic diagrams might be helpful too:

http://www.centekindustries.com/install_diagrams.html

and from Vetus, you can see the goose neck shape from the appearance of their products. While the exact method of setting this all up varies, the principals are still the same:

http://www.vetus.com/exhaust-systems/waterlocks.html

So the blurp blurp splash you see of water in your exhaust is the water lift muffler filling to the discharge point, and then that extra glug of water getting pushed out with the exhaust.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Stick with the original stand pipe design.

If you stick with the original standpipe design where the inner exhaust tube terminates higher than the exterior water outlet you will never be able to flood the engine with water. When I redid the one for my 73' 27 with an A4 I found that the inner pipe had rusted off just to the point where it would allow cooling water to flow back to the engine. Glad I caught it in time.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Waterlifts are for installations lacking the vertical height necessary for a standpipe. The standpipe is far superior - I have one in my Ericson 32 as well.

BilgeRat

Thanks for the great advice...

I will go ahead and stick with the standpipe system that I welded up... it is nice to know we are headed in the best direction!

Jay and Ebben