Help in estimating repair costs for 1969 Ericson 23

tzink

Hello,

I have a 1969 Ericson 23. I have put a good deal of work into it over the past year. However, it needs new standing rigging, and has developed corrosion on the keel. I'm trying to estimate what the repair costs would be to decide whether she's worth fixing or whether it's time to move to a new boat. What can I expect for the new rigging? (I've already taken everything down and I can do the labor myself). What can I expect with the keel? The corrosion is mostly around the edges, it appears in small lumps (I can post a video if it helps).

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Rigging

To get a handle on the materials cost to replace the rigging go to the Rigging Only website online store. I used them when I redid the rigging on my 28. I found the prices reasonable and the customer service good.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the general issue at hand, I propose considering how long you will have a sailboat, and where you want to be in, as they say, five years.

If you aren't likely to move, have a baby, get laid off, or enter a monastery, good time to look ahead.

There is no return on investment of time and dough on the current boat. Maybe you can sell it "as is" for more than the re-rigged price less your costs and labor.

If you'll keep it for five years, that's one thing.

But if you intend changing boats, put the dough and time into a new specimen.

In any case, the exercise helps clarify your own intentions, and can mean relaxing with what you have or facing the need for change.

Last edited:

tzink

Thanks for the good advice. I'll check out Rigging Only.
I do plan to have a boat for the next five years (no monastery for me, thanks!), whether it's this one or a newer/bigger one.

I'm sure others have dealt with keel corrosion before... what is involved in fixing it? Obviously dry dock, but how extensive is the repair?