Helm commands, especially for sail trim?

klb67pgh

Member III
I would like to improve the consistency and clarity of my communication from the helm with crew when sailing and racing (usually my boys, 14 and 10, and wife). Everyone gets time at the tiller as well, but I usually still direct tacks and gybes, etc. I've been looking without success online for a more complete guide. I generally use Prepare to tack, Ready about?, Coming about and Stand by to Gybe, Gype ho. But beyond that, I'm not confident or very consistent. In sail trim, I end up resorting to sheet in the main just a little, a little more, etc. ease the main some. Same with genoa sheets. Go forward and tighten the boom vang or ease the boom vang. Bring the traveler to windward or drop the traveler to leeward. Are there better options? Are there other commands I don't know I don't know? If there's time to see a gust coming, I usually tell whomever is on the mainsheet to be prepared to release the main, but in a hurry, "Release the main" seems like a terribly imprecise instruction. By now my wife and 14 year old fairly well know what to do in a hurry, but I'd still like to clean up our communication.

I generally sail fairly actively even when not racing. I should also note that we sail on an inland lake known for very shifty winds generally, and then you have to factor wind direction changes off of points. On a good wind day with gusts in the teens or more, I may put a turn or two in the genoa just to balance the boat better, but you still need to be prepared for drastic wind shifts.

If there are any books anyone has found helpful in this area, including sail trim, I'd appreciate those suggestions as well.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I have been struggling with some of the same issues with new crew. Might suggest short phrases like "travel up/down". "Vang on/off" and of course if you are flying a spinnaker "Made" when gybing the pole or completing a the spin hoist.
Personally, when I skipper or crew for someone, I like to respond back while performing the action. If the order is to "ease the jib". I respond back "easing jib". If I am heading up to help the crew trim the jib, I respond with "heading up" so they know what and when I am performing the action. It think it makes a difference.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
I would like to improve the consistency and clarity of my communication from the helm with crew when sailing and racing (usually my boys, 14 and 10, and wife). Everyone gets time at the tiller as well, but I usually still direct tacks and gybes, etc. I've been looking without success online for a more complete guide. I generally use Prepare to tack, Ready about?, Coming about and Stand by to Gybe, Gype ho. But beyond that, I'm not confident or very consistent. In sail trim, I end up resorting to sheet in the main just a little, a little more, etc. ease the main some. Same with genoa sheets. Go forward and tighten the boom vang or ease the boom vang. Bring the traveler to windward or drop the traveler to leeward. Are there better options? Are there other commands I don't know I don't know? If there's time to see a gust coming, I usually tell whomever is on the mainsheet to be prepared to release the main, but in a hurry, "Release the main" seems like a terribly imprecise instruction. By now my wife and 14 year old fairly well know what to do in a hurry, but I'd still like to clean up our communication.

I generally sail fairly actively even when not racing. I should also note that we sail on an inland lake known for very shifty winds generally, and then you have to factor wind direction changes off of points. On a good wind day with gusts in the teens or more, I may put a turn or two in the genoa just to balance the boat better, but you still need to be prepared for drastic wind shifts.

If there are any books anyone has found helpful in this area, including sail trim, I'd appreciate those suggestions as well.
For tacking and gybing I usually say "going to tack/gybe", then I usually ask "ready cockpit" to be sure everyone is ready, then count "3,2,1 tacking/ gybing" For sail trim, I will just say "ease/trim jib 2" (or however much)", or "trav up/down 6"", or "mainsheet ease/trim 6" (or whatever). For spinnaker, of necessary, I say "Pole fwd/aft 6" (or whatever), for trimming it, I just say "trim or ease" but the trimmer should know how much as it is evident . I keep it simple and consistent

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
In addition to what has been mentioned the race boats I have sailed on use "made" often when anything is connected. "Main halyard MADE, UP UP UP". "TRIM TRIM TRIM" is also common on the race boats I have sailed.

patrscoe

Member III
Seth: Those are very similar commands that I use. Only difference is that I will state how much ease or trim, as I ususally have somewhat knowledgeable sailors but they are not trimmers.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Seth: Those are very similar commands that I use. Only difference is that I will state how much ease or trim, as I ususally have somewhat knowledgeable sailors but they are not trimmers.
Right, me too as noted except for the spinnaker sheet because it is either collapsing or overtrimmed to the point where it gets eased just to the curl. But sure...;-)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For maneuvers there's a command of preparation followed by a command of execution. Traditionally (in my era):

Tacking: "Ready about?" "Hard alee!" (or "Helm's Alee!")

At "ready about?" crew heads should turn or other body language indicate awareness. Crew distant on foredeck or encased in spray need to acknowledge--that's the whole idea of "ready about?" It also gives the skipper a chance to say "clear that foul first, Louie, what're you asleep up there?"

Jibing: "Prepare to Jibe." "Jibe-ho!" (as boat is turned) "Coming over!" (as boom begins to swing).

For sail control, I use the verb form "slack!" or "trim!" Since most of the folks I take sailing are new to the game, I frequently say "slack the mainsheet about three feet," or "trim the genoa sheet about 6 inches!" Refers to the amoutn of line to pull in or let out.

I don't think it really matters what commands we use, as long as people understand them. "We're gonna tack now, which means turn into the wind and come out the other side, and nobody has to do anything except keep sitting down. Ready about? Here we go, "Hard alee."

They still call me Capt. Queeg.

In sum: for cruising, it's better to make sure everybody knows what;s going on, no matter how many words it takes.

For racing, well, a practiced crew knows shorthand. But the skipper has to teach it to them.

If guests or new crew need a primer on boat terminology, there's always this:

Open [CC], "Closed Captions," for spelling. For HD click "Watch on YouTube," forum uses SD for such links)

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
For maneuvers there's a command of preparation followed by a command of execution. Traditionally (in my era):

Tacking: "Ready about?" "Hard alee!" (or "Helm's Alee!")

At "ready about?" crew heads should turn or other body language indicate awareness. Crew distant on foredeck or encased in spray need to acknowledge--that's the whole idea of "ready about?" It also gives the skipper a chance to say "clear that foul first, Louie, what're you asleep up there?"

Jibing: "Prepare to Jibe." "Jibe-ho!" (as boat is turned) "Coming over!" (as boom begins to swing).

For sail control, I use the verb form "slack!" or "trim!" Since most of the folks I take sailing are new to the game, I frequently say "slack the mainsheet about three feet," or "trim the genoa sheet about 6 inches!" Refers to the amoutn of line to pull in or let out.

I don't think it really matters what commands we use, as long as people understand them. "We're gonna tack now, which means turn into the wind and come out the other side, and nobody has to do anything except keep sitting down. Ready about? Here we go, "Hard alee."

They still call me Capt. Queeg.

In sum: for cruising, it's better to make sure everybody knows what;s going on, no matter how many words it takes.

For racing, well, a practiced crew knows shorthand. But the skipper has to teach it to them.

If guests or new crew need a primer on boat terminology, there's always this:

Open [CC], "Closed Captions," for spelling. For HD click "Watch on YouTube," forum uses SD for such links)

As someone who grew up sailing with all of the traditional terminology, I have seen and support a change towards more simple and accessible phrasing. You don't hear things like "hard a-lee", "lee-ho" "gybe ho", etc. so much anymore. At least in more performance oriented sailing... I have found new crew to be more responsive to the kinds of things I mentioned above in a previous post, and a countdown to actually turning the boat is very helpful. Of course there is the very common "burp the jib 2"" :) Cheers

klb67pgh

Member III
I'm rather pleased with the discussion so far - please continue to contribute. I can't say I ever thought to use 2 inches to clarify how much sheet to give or trim in. That makes sense. I had thought of Christian's video above about terms when drafting my initial request, and wondered whether a "modern" race skipper would use different terms. Racing my Ericson is very very low key with more casual sailing captains/boats and often in low wind Summer conditions. The more serious racing is with my other sailing club and Flying Scots, where I instruct and race a Sunfish. I don't yet have crew or skipper experience with a real race crew on a keel boat. Someday I'll make that happen, probably at Erie.

sf1332

Member II
This is a really good discussion thread. I had the same challenges this season racing my boat as a first time skipper...with mostly inexperienced crew (some of them first time sailing!). When I race with my family only (wife, 2 boys-10y and 7yr), my wife always comments that I need to be more specific and direct. I have a lot to learn! I have crewed for other race boats before, but found that commands were mostly inconsistent and the traditional communications were often not used or shortened especially during the starting sequence. I appreciate the comments above, and hope to incorporate them to my own for the next season.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I always get a look from the Admiral that’s like “The what???” And then I say, “The red one…no, the one that’s more red than white…oh, bother…I’ll get it.”

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW.... sometimes it helps to decide, applied to your particular boat, which sail trimming strings are important enough to invoke on any given day. Sort of like a hierarchy of steps to take.

Unless I have crew who enjoy trimming to the smaller increments, I leave the traveler centered on most "average" days. The outhaul and cunningham only get adjusted when the wind has changed about 5 kts or more. I do try to keep the genoa car position dialed in, because that affects the whole leech. The vang is snug, but not too tight.

We like sailing efficiency, but with already having a very fast boat, the last 5% is not essential for a fun afternoon.
I find that this rationale works the same on the BK Ericson's, also. :egrin:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
FWIW.... sometimes it helps to decide, applied to your particular boat, which sail trimming strings are important enough to invoke on any given day. Sort of like a hierarchy of steps to take.

Unless I have crew who enjoy trimming to the smaller increments, I leave the traveler centered on most "average" days. The outhaul and cunningham only get adjusted when the wind has changed about 5 kts or more. I do try to keep the genoa car position dialed in, because that affects the whole leech. The vang is snug, but not too tight.

We like sailing efficiency, but with already having a very fast boat, the last 5% is not essential for a fun afternoon.
I find that this rationale works the same on the BK Ericson's, also. :egrin:
Agree. Nerd out when you’re alone or with racers and focus on comfort when you have “guests”.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
And what no one had mentioned, perhaps because it's a given. Do not ever yell at the crew if they haven't done what you wanted, or made a mistake. That's a recipe for unhappiness and makes people never want to sail again. Even in a race, sailing has to be fun, relatively stress free, especially for folks who are new to sailing.
Frank

tpcorrigan

Member II
since many times I'm sailing with people that are not acquainted with a sailboat I have most the lines color coded. Port Genoa red, Starboard Genoa green, outhaul black, spin halyard blue, vang/preventers white, etc. Now if I need an adjustment I just yell "pull the black line tight" instead of "tighten the outhaul 3 inches". I may even use that horrible "rope" word. Depending on the group on the boat I may say "prepare to tack, tacking" or possibly get ready to turn, turning" then explain what a tack is. I love taking new people out, part of the joy of sailing. Take care and enjoy the rest of the season. _/)

Teranodon

Member III
During a race, one almost always tacks from close-hauled to close-hauled. But before the start, that typically isn't the case. Thus, it is useful for the helmsman to say something like "Prepare to tack to a beam reach!", thus avoiding an automatic close-hauled trim on the new tack. Similarly for "Prepare to gybe and come up!". Since there is no way for the crew to know exactly where the helmsman wants to go, it is good to be explicit, and to agree beforehand on terminology.

Another important maneuver is ducking a starboard tacker. Sometimes, this occurs very suddenly, and both sheets need to be eased, then trimmed back in. It's good to warn the crew that a duck may be coming ("Prepare to duck!"), giving them time to get off the rail and into position.

In general, the more information about the helmsman's intensions, the better, for example, when coming up to a mark. Useful observations from the crew (even advice, sometimes) are good. Of course, too much palaver during a race is bad. It's a fine line.

I don't know about others, but I've always hated the expression "hard a-lee!". It sort of makes sense for a tiller, but for a wheel? Anyway, one rarely pushes the tiller hard, which is like applying the brakes. Plus, it sounds pretentious. i just say "Tacking!".

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pretentious to you, old boy, historical to me. Pry them out of my cold dead hands.

What new words do you have for halyard, vang, topping lift, taffrail, tumblehome, gooseneck, cringle, tiller, thwart? Your new improved dictionary will be long.

And say, Isn't "tacking" a bit pretentious, after all? I mean shouldn't you really say, "making a right turn," so the automobile drivers won't be troubled by unfamiliar words?

Teranodon

Member III
Pretentious to you, old boy, historical to me. Pry them out of my cold dead hands.
I think I'd better change the subject...

I've always been interested in the old square-riggers, and have a large collection of books about them, including many technical reference works. For a while, I researched the vital question: which way was the wheel turned when going to port or starboard? On modern boats, it's obvious. I confirmed that on the day I took my Talpa out to test some steering repairs, having neglected to cross the cables inside the pedestal! Anyway, I pored over ancient illustrations and diagrams for many hours before concluding that the old ships and barques were steered as one would a car or an Ericson 34. I was able to confirm again on the blessed day when I convinced the Captain of the James Craig (three-masted barque of 300 feet, 700 tons, built in 1874) to let me steer her for a few minutes, standing into Sydney Harbor with all sails set.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
having neglected to cross the cables

That's at least three of us now on the forum who admit to having done that. The terminology is #@&*$)#! :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Permit me a joke from the legendary Paul Elvstrom, a childhood hero of mine in the Finn (and later Soling) classes, who is forgotten now but was a household word then, and worth checking his Wiki in the link. He influenced much of what we take for granted.

A Danish friend of his was crewing for an American for the first time in a high-stake dinghy race, with no language in common. They won, but afterwards the Dane complained that the language barrier was very frustrating.

"Every time he needed to come about he shouted THANK YOU! at me."

As it happens, tack is Danish for thank you.