Height of boom Ericson 23MK2

rbaroni

Would anyone who knows or has an Ericson 23 MK2 give me a measurement of the height of their boom off the deck or some comparable point of measurement? I am new to this boat, and after looking at a few pictures, the boom appears to be too low. Before I order a new mainsail, I'd like to get it figured out. Thank you in advance.

TwistedLogic

Member II
To the best of my recollection, which isn't saying much, the black line on my mast before painting was 22" above the mast base.
Does that seem practical?

rbaroni

Mast base?

Thanks for the information. When you say the "mast base", I'm not sure all the mast bases are the same. Do you mean to the level of the surface that the mast base sits on? My mast sits in a cradle that is elevated in a mast base that sits about four inches above the level of the flat surface. Thanks.

TwistedLogic

Member II
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I measured the mast band with the mast sitting on saw horses with all of the hardware removed. So the measurement is from the base of the actual mast extrusion. The fancy tall pipe as it were. Also, the top band was 11" down from the top of the extrusion. Both of those measurements were to the outside end of the band. I would guess the band was 3/4" thick. Hope that helps.

I have a new main on order from North for my 23-2. Expecting it mid-August. It will replace what I believe is the original 1975 main sail. I am going loose foot this time at their recommendation.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Mine is a '79 hull #468 which I think may be the last one.
CL of black band @ 20 1/2" above mast butt plate. Deck
plate is 5" tall. Black band is supposed to be the tack fitting pin
for the MAIN, for racing, I run mine about 1" higher. I bought
one of the first North Fully battened cruising mains, ????? years
ago, 1st one on Lake Mendota Madison, Wi. and I love it, definetly
worth the bucks although I don't think you can race it. Go by the
bands when ordering. There's plenty of room @ the top of the mast.
You can set your boom @ any height you want w/ the downhaul.
The P=25.33' Tack to Head, any sailmaker should have all the design data.

Last edited:

rbaroni

Cl ??

Thanks for the responses. I'm sorry, I don't know what CL is? What if I don't have any black bands on my mast? If I understand, which I may not, the bottom of your boom would be lower than the total of your deck plate 5" and the 20 1/2 inches from the deck plate to the black band? Do I have this straight?

Who would you use for sail making? Any thoughts on the best size for a headsail? Thanks again for the responses.
Sailing on Lake Pend Oreille, Sandpoint, Idaho

sleather

Sustaining Member
Cl

Center Line of a 1" black band. So 5" base + 20 1/2" or (22"as per TL)=25 1/2"to 27"(26")- 4"(tack pin to btm. of boom)=22"
from deck/top of cabin to btm. of boom. which scales off 3/4"
drawings I have from ERICSON. So 1'-10" from btm. of boom
to deck @ mast is a good place to start!!!!!
Regarding sails, will you be racing??? If not the sky's the limit.
When will you be ordering?, most sailmakers have a 15% disc.
around FEB. At the moment I don't have the time to expound
on the various pro's & con's. I've had 35+ years on cruisers &
racers & I would be happy to give you MY input. I also will be
providing an original owners manual to the site sometime.
Later, Steve
p.s. hope to have a photo album up by FALL w/ my upgrades.
p.s.s. nice looking LAKE, I'm on a puddle

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Sails

RBaroni,

This is getting too complicated. Any sailmaker will have the dimensions for the mainsail on file. However, ALL reputable (not most, ALL) sailmakers also have a measurement form to email/fax you which will let you take some specific measurements (which are clearly marked on the form) to make sure the fit is correct. So, if the sailmaker is not close enough to actually come out and confirm the measurements him/herself, you can confirm the P and the E (this is the luff and foot) dimensions they have on file (again, the form will show you how and where to measure these), and also things like luff track size, boom track size (but I recommend loose foot), tack pin setback and cut up (this determines the details for how the tack of the sail attaches to the gooseneck). etc.

If you are not racing, and want the boom higher, be sure and tell the sailmaker how much. If you have a sliding gooseneck, you can shorten/raise the boom by about 6-8" with no negative impacts. If you have a fixed gooseneck, shortening the luff will not raise the boom, but the sail will not go all the way up-not a good idea for performance. If you have the fixed gooseneck and really want the boom higher, you COULD specify a shorter leech-which means a smaller tack angle-which means intead of the typical 88-90 degree angle of the foot from the luff, they can go a couple of degrees less. This will keep the clew a bit higher off the cockpit floor and away from your head. Again-at a loss of performance. The standard sizes should not pose any problems, though.

For those who are concerned about boom height, be sure the sail is ALL the way up before deciding the boom is too low!!

Either way, get that form and use it-you will be glad you did!!!

A sail is a big investment-you should take the time to get it right.

For genoas, if you are not racing, and sail mostly in winds of 12 knots and less, I suggest 120-130% genoa as an all around sail. If your area is breezy, go with something like a 100-110%.

Good luck,
S