Heater recommendations

Jarod

Member III
Hi All,

Looking for a heater for my E27..does anyone have a recommendation for this size of a boat...it will have to be propane fuel and be able to deal with temperatures down to freezing. I live in Vancouver, BC. I was considering the little cozy cabin by force 10, but not sure if 6000 btu will be enough.

Thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Your cabin volume is a bit larger than we had on our prior Niagara 26, using the Force 10 propane Cozy Cabin Heater. Ours put out all the heat we could ever want... :cool:
We did also put in a Hella fan by the stack to circulate the hot air around the cabin.

I never left the open flame un-watched, and that was about the only drawback to that simple and effective little heater. I liked the small 1" SS tubing for a stack, too.

Nowadays I would go with the Dickinson propane unit with the enclosed flame and variable fan for expelling hot air (lots of it!) from the double wall combustion chamber.

There are pics of one of these in an earlier thread here.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2542&referrerid=28

Warm regards,
Loren in PDX

Last edited:

Salty Dawg

Sic Em WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF
Great Heater

We have the diesel burning Force 10 Cozy Cabin Heater in our 32 and have to vent excess heat out the center hatch. The heater would probably heat twice the volume of a 32. I would assume the propane version would have the same result. The heater is 20 years old and other than a standard rebuilds (for peace of mind) we have had no issues.

The Dawg:cheers:

newgringo

Member III
We have a propane heater in our 32-3 which was not installed to ABYC codes. The heater works fine but the surveyor, and hence my insurer, said I had to install a ducted combustion air source to the outside of the hull. I did it but it was kind of a pain. So a word to the wise is make sure a propane heater is installed to code.

PS I have seen a coaxial vent kit on one brand of propane heater. Now that looks like a nifty deal.

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
Had a Force 10 cozy propane in my 30+ and was very unhappy. totally inadequate (except for making things wet!) And yes, it was properly installed. Tossed it and put in a Dickenson Newport which is really great and dry too. BTW, I only burn terrestrial gas station diesel, much cleaner. Was on Gambier last weekend and It was too hot! Get an Eco Fan and the heat will be much more even.