Heat on a cold morning

Solarken

Member II
Good morning to all!
So, this odd year continues. Much wind and rain plus the cold is coming 2+ months early!!!

So I must think of heating the cabin to take the chill off.
I’m all electric so no engine to run to take the chills away.
Last two seasons I used a Mister Heater Buddy. Never really found a good place to mount it so it would live on the top of the stove on gimbal when in use.

Sometimes on the floor or over the sink if I was cooking. I used a large propane bottle with a 12’ hose so it could move about.

Enough of history, the heater is no more! My cat tripped me and I landed on it. Off fortunately. But so mangled in the recycling it went.

So! What do you all recommend? I live in the main saloon/cabin. I don’t need 70° but I don’t like to get up and stay in 45° or less.

I was told there is a pellet heater out there but I’ve not found it. The V-berth is all storage but it needs a bit of heat to keep condensation moving out of the boat. I’m all Ears looking for ideas

I’m going to be looking forward to your comments on this. OH! Let me not forget! I have not seen any shore power since December last year. I have a nice plugin but that’s moot now and in the future for a long while I believe. Maybe off to Hawaii next spring, we will see!

Thank You for your input. Have a great Sunday!

Captain Kenny
E 32-2 forward head port side

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Maybe you should look around for a (lightly..) used solid fuel bulkhead heater, like the formerly-ubiquitous Cole Stove that EY used to install in all the early E-38 models.
Any solid fuel stove/heater takes some regular upkeep and ash removal, but they do not require external fuel tanks/hoses/devices like the propane or diesel ones.
If retrofitting for a furnace, there are fueling and electrical requirements to consider, to achieve "push button" comfort. Everything's a compromise, as an Ericson-owner friend of mine likes to say.

Solarken

Member II
A solid fuel stove would be great but I don’t know where to mount it?!?! And venting? Pellet would be the same issue I guess.

will search for a Cole and see what’s out there.

no heater now!! So I’m actively looking.
Thank you

There is a similar thread around about how to route heating hose through an ~E35 - one benefit of a bulkhead unit is simplicity (along with cutting a hole in the cabin top..). They can be pricey but under 1 BOAT unit new.

I personally like the Mr. Heater Little Buddy that consumes a small (1 lb.?) propane bottle - it isn't too stable but have been thinking about making a mountable base. It runs about 5 hours per bottle so is more supplemental heat than full-time. Not sure what's best for your situation but there are options.

Solarken

Member II
I ran it on a 17# bottle. The 1# are $11 each! I fill the 17# for $22. You see why.
they are made to mount on the wall. Built into the back.
But I’m looking for something different. The one with the hoses needs an engine running to make heat. I’m all electric so no heat there!
Can’t believe we are getting rain ️ when it should be 85° and sunny

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Our boat has a Cole stove, that Loren mentioned. We burn those compressed sawdust ’logs’ available at big box hardware stores. image.jpgIt’s mounted on the port side bulkhead. It came with the boat but we used it several times last year and it can heat the cabin well enough to run you out. That’s why we put extra heat shielding on the side and back. A couple of well placed fans move some of that warm air into the v-berth. It’s vented through the cabin top and has a short chimney on deck. I think it’s about a three inch cutout for the chimney.image.jpg
As Loren said, there is ash and soot to deal with but the sawdust logs make little smoke once properly lit. It takes up little space and does have a certain charm that fits in well with the character of our 31 Independence.
Definitely old school but it works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 12