Heat exchanger issues

Darrel

Member I
So we went out two weekend and after about 10 minutes of motoring the temp gauge was reading 190 which isn't critical but not near the normal 145 I am use to seeing. So last weekend it was a motor day. Started by changing the raw water impeller. Started the engine and it was moving water great out the exhaust, but 10 minutes back up to 190. Killed the Motor and after it cooled checked the coolant leve,l it was low. Filled it up and started the engine. After 10 minutes a solid 145 but then backup to 190 after 25 minutes. While it was running I noticed a drip in the back so shut the engine down and let it cool yet again. Tracing it down I found a drip comping from the heat exchanger. Apparently the bracket had broken at some point on one side and the heat exchanger had leaned up against the bell housing bolt that hold the bracket that had backed out. Pulled the heat exchanger and was able to Weld it up with a bronze brazing rod. Of course while it was out I cleaned it. Now the bracket and heat exchanger have been repaired and my 34 year old Universal is a steady 145. Now checking all mounting bolts attached to the engine is on my spring commissioning list :). Take the five minutes to check that mounting bolts are tight as I imagine I am not the only one this has happened to.52607294820__13A586DA-5CE0-450A-A68D-D123886AB5E0.JPG.jpg Or am I just that lucky? :esad:

Darrel

Member I
Looks like corrosion too? What condition was the heat exchanger zinc in?

No corrosion what so ever. It looks ruff but that was the paint burnt off from the torch used to weld the bronze. The zink was perfect. I sail in fresh water.... kinda....Lake Texoma is technically brackish so I still use zinc. There was some build up internally but I imagine this was the first time the heat exchanger had ever been out of the boat...If the difficulty of removing the hoses was any indication.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
No corrosion what so ever. It looks ruff but that was the paint burnt off from the torch used to weld the bronze. The zink was perfect. I sail in fresh water.... kinda....Lake Texoma is technically brackish so I still use zinc. There was some build up internally but I imagine this was the first time the heat exchanger had ever been out of the boat...If the difficulty of removing the hoses was any indication.

Very cool, I'm glad you had the skills to save it.