headsail sheets

737800FO

Member I
Just a quick question about the proper routing of the jib sheets. I just moved up from a 14 ft daysailer to an e27 with a jib and a 130 (spinnaker?), and I was wondering about the routing of the sheet aft to the cockpit. Do they run insided the stays to the block or outside. I can see that if we were reaching or even close hauled it might be better to be inside the stays. Whereas on a run or beam reach we may want to be outside the stays, especially with the 130.

thanks,
Mark S.
:confused:

PDX

Member III
Outside, unless you have an inside track. Some of the Ericson's have both an inside and outside track, but I believe 27s just have an outside track on the toe rail.

And your 130 is likely a genoa, not a spinnaker. Slide the track car back toward the rear of the track when going upwind, even more so if the genoa has a high clew.

AleksT

Member III
On the E27 you will want to run your sheets outside of the shrouds. The jib lead track is on the outside edge of the boat and goes far enough forward that you will be able to sheet the jib tight enough to work well upwind.

dt222

Member III
Mark,
as stated, foresail sheets routed outside of everything. And do you have a spinnaker pole on your '27? If so, you may have a spinnaker, but otherwise, you have a 130 genoa (jib). I have 2 foresails, a 150 and a 130, and no spinnaker.

Don

TRMN8R

Member II
I have a 130 on the roller, absolutely have to route sheets outside of shrouds. Looking at the angle and distance off the spreader, I don't even see how anything over a 100 would clear. I suppose you could reef in the 130 to maybe clear the shrouds but then there would be so much material on the roller it would add resistance. One nice thing is the very long track for the genoa cars................

737800FO

Member I
Thanks guys. It is a genoa. boy do I have a lot to learn......It does make sense to run the sheet outside of the shrouds.

Fortune

Vince is right, Mark. That's why we love to sail. There is always more to learn and a new adventure around every corner. I've been a member for about ten months, but have sailed my whole life.
Ask a lot of questions! For the most part, you will find experienced sailors eager to answer and explain just about anything.
Enjoy your new boat!
Tim
P.S. Do run your jib sheets on the outside of the shrouds.