Headroom and berth length

ajs.07

I am fairly tall (5'10") as is my partner (6ft) and I may be having family aboard as tall as 6'6". Could anyone give information about headroom and berth length in various models. I was considering looking at an e27 as a first boat because the headroom for the size is supposed to be decent, but does anyone know about the berth length? What about other models, like the 32? I can find very little information on headroom of models bigger than the 27, and very little information on berth length. Could anyone give any information on headroom and berth size in your boat?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
Our previous boat was a E27. Both my wife and I are around 5'10". The following are my recollections and impressions.

The cabin headroom is about 6'1" IIRC. There was plenty of headroom for my wife and I, but my brother-in-law (around 6'2") had to tilt his head when he was walking below.

The v-berth was slightly uncomfortable - by the numbers we should fit (it is about 6') but, between it coming to a point in the bow and not having any spare inches between my head and the bulkhead, it was not great. Do-able, but not great.

The port side setee is slightly shorter than the starboard side - about 6' vs. 6'2". Sleeping on the starboard setee was comfortable. The port one worked but, again, gave the me the feeling that it was 2" too short.

The quarterberth has plenty of length and was comfortable but... only one person fit. The headroom was adequate for sleeping, but you cannot sit up in the berth so you tend to bump your head when you wake up in the morning. OTOH, my brother-in-law who was around 6'2 fit just fine (he was uncomfortable on the setees).

The last two years that we had the E27 we laid 6' long 1x12" boards athwartships and then got a "twin" size "folding" mattress to lay on top. We put the boards across the cabin, resting on the setees - we put a 1x12 on each settee to distribute the cross boards' loads on the cushions. That was very comfortable but had the drawback of needing to be set up, taken down, and took room for stowing. We stowed the mattress "folded" on the port side settee and the boards vertically on the sole stacked vertically against the settee.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I'm 6'-1" and the E35-3 fit me perfectly. Lots of room to sit up in the vee berth, plenty of room in the shower, etc.

Jerry VB

E32-3 / M-25XP
Our "new" boat is a E32-3; the v-berth is nominally 6'6" and we find it is comfortable. The extra length and the extra foot room (it doesn't come to a point) made a big difference.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Funny this came up. Sleeping aboard over the weekend I tried to convince my wife that I’m gonna need a bigger boat because the berth is too small and I can’t seem to get decent sleep aboard...

I would guess that a lot depends on ones sleeping position, I’m also 5-10 but still find my 6”-3” berth way too small as I sleep with my arms splayed out under the pillow and move around a lot. My wife can easily curl in to a space half that size and be perfectly happy!

if I had to guess, the ideal berth would be exactly a foot longer than a persons height.

Mblace

Member II
Funny this came up. Sleeping aboard over the weekend I tried to convince my wife that I’m gonna need a bigger boat because the berth is too small and I can’t seem to get decent sleep aboard...

I would guess that a lot depends on ones sleeping position, I’m also 5-10 but still find my 6”-3” berth way too small as I sleep with my arms splayed out under the pillow and move around a lot. My wife can easily curl in to a space half that size and be perfectly happy!

if I had to guess, the ideal berth would be exactly a foot longer than a persons height.
LOL! I also have a E-25CB and am 6’3”, my wife is 6’, so we consider the cabin to be a lunch and relax space, but no way I’d ever consider sleeping aboard. My impression of any sub-30’ Ericsson is that it’s for folks under 6’...