Headliner Replacement

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
I have a small headliner repair project and noticed that the staples that I pulled are narrower and longer than your “typical” staple and gun that is in everyone’s toolbox. With COVID I haven’t been to the orange store (Home Depot) to look at tools and before I spent 3 hours googling does anyone know what type of staple and gun this is or what it is called (or maybe I already have been Googling unsuccessfully)? They are 3/4 inch length and more than half as wide as a normal staple. I ask because of the length primarily... I can make the width work.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have removed a ton of staples in the last several weeks to gain access to the nuts on the bolts for deck gear. I have found at least two or three distinct sizes of factory staples. There is a smaller-wire, about 5/16 or 1/2 wide, and a narrower heavier gauge wire that is driven deeper and is harder to extract. Then, there are the narrow ones that you seem to have found.
Since all were probably air-driven, they must have had multiple guns shared around when installing the vinyl headliner. Those original staples have rusted over the decades, too. For restoring the perimeter of the headliner, I may have to buy a small compressor and gun to drive several sizes. (my old hand-operated stapler works fine on soft woods, but balks at harder stuff.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Loren: a compressor/stapler is a very convenient, useful tool. I have had one for 10 years...used it once I think. Maybe you could borrow one? Roofers have them by the dozen. Try asking your neighbors or others that enjoy sailing with you? Or rent one...cheap!