DSC_3009.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_3014.jpg
    DSC_3014.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 47

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
30th Passage to the Island

Thanks for posting those Sven. I had a wonderful time being on Senta II and seeing you Nancy, Marilyn and meeting Marilyn's sister Diane. Good Gawd Senta II is really looking beautiful. I can't believe your not satisfied with the varnish as it is down below. I will have you and Nancy aboard the Pride at the Marina in the near future. She was a bit grubbed out at the Island with having my buddy and all his gear as well as Eddie and Splash the dog constantly tracking trail dirt and sand onboard.

This was my 30th passage to the Island over the last eight years. I had a good time as always but the Isthmus at peak season leaves something to be desired. Too crowded, not just with boaters and people who think they are boaters but Boy Scouts, Campers and tourists. Marilyn gave me the best suggestion for my next peak season trip. That is to get over there around noon on a Sunday when every one is clearing out. That way you not only get a prime mooring but you get some relief from the crowds probably through Wednesday.

As you know Sven, I was hit by a power boater who was leaving his mooring right in the middle of the afternoon winds. I was not on my own boat, but Eddie's boat as I watched helplessly as this Guy tried to back out of the mooring with the wind on his nose. Fortunately it was just his port side hitting my starboard side. It did make a fairly loud noise when he hit the Pride. I saw no visible damage, just a black streak on my rub rail at midships. I couldn't believe it, he didn't even apologize to me until I spoke to him when he picked back up the mooring at dusk. I was ready for him, I had my fenders out. I told him I had some recommendations for him. Number one, don't try to back out with the wind on the nose. Number two, please try to tie off on the same side as the rest of the boats in the row.

All and all it was a very nice trip, the clouds cleared every afternoon to sunshine, although not until well after noon on Monday. It also got quite chilly in the cockpit Sunday night. It was also a bit rolly polly both Sat. & Sun. nights at around 3 am on J-12 in front of the beach.

BTW this was my friend Eddie's (Capt. UpChuck) first trip to the Island with his little MacGregor 22', "Hullabaloo". Solo too! He did not get sea sick. Thank Gawd. I worry about his weak belly and that very small boat. He's shaping up as a Skipper though.

Beam Winds All

Attachments

• DawnTreader.jpg
    DawnTreader.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 47
  • JeffSplashNancy.jpg
    JeffSplashNancy.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 38
  • SentaII.jpg
    SentaII.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 39
  • ThePride.jpg
    ThePride.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Hullabaloo.jpg
    Hullabaloo.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 43

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
A few more pics

A few more pics. :egrin: Sven, you gotta let me take a pic of you!

Attachments

• FrankMarilynJeff.jpg
    FrankMarilynJeff.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DawwTreader2.jpg
    DawwTreader2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 36
  • GotCrew.jpg
    GotCrew.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 41
  • Rich.jpg
    Rich.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 34
  • GotAMooring?.jpg
    GotAMooring?.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Jeff,

did you stay Sunday night too ? I thought we saw you leaving Sunday morning. We had a nice sail on the way back too, loved it :egrin:

Thanks for the pics and the visit.

If you come by Senta II in the marina you'll see Prelude, a spotless gorgeous Hinkley right behind us. He was scraped at the Isthmus and the insurance (his ?) covered re-painting the hull with LP. His boat is museum quality and he is now Isthmus-shy as a result of the abuse Prelude suffered through.

Glad you didn't suffer any damage.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Opps, I meant Fri. & Sat. Nights were the rolly polly ones. Yes I left early Sunday to cross with the Hullabaloo when it was calm. I took yesterday off to clean up my boat and put her away properly, so I lost track of time. Fist day back at work and it feels like a Monday. :confused:

Damn, maybe I should have got the Guy's insurance info and had a survey done. I could use a new LP'ed hull. :esad:

Here's a bit more on the power boater that hit me. He had a 27 foot Carver. He said one of his engine's was out and that it was the one that controlled the power steering. I talked to a couple power boat dock neighbors and they said that if he had a engine out he should have had the shore patrol assist him on and off the mooring. They also questioned that power steering even existed on his boat. Most don't have such as thing. Most power boats use the two engines independently to assist in steering.
:confused:

Last edited: