Head-galley Faucet Replacement

Ed Balun

Member I
My 1987 E-32-3 has faucet fixtures that are rather decayed. I would like to replace both of them. Has anyone attempted this as yet. I would like to pull the sinks to provide easier access to the fittings, especially in the head. My wife wants the retractable shower fitting that drops under the sink. Any help would be appreciated.

I did this on my 38. It worked out well, but I did put in a piece of line to keep the loop under the counter against the back of the locker.

I'm in Waterford Harbor if you want to take a look.

noproblemo2

Member III
We recently replaced our head with one from camping world, a lot less expensive and they work beautifully we also found a bone sink fro 12.00 that is really nice. In the galley we got a home style faucet with a sprayer and replaced the stailess steel sink with a bone double bowl by swanstone they certainly look nicer now...

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I have the same boat (1985 32-3). I replaced both the galley and head faucets with stock faucets from Home Depot, which are much better than the over priced junk sold by the boat stores. I removed the head sink to do the work because the space under it is so tight. However, removing the sink is hard as it is stuck down with silicone. You have to patiently work around the edge with a sharp knife. As for the shower, I have banned all showers inside the boat because the water inevitably gets out the head door and seeps under the cabin sole by the V-berth ruining it because Ericson did not seal the sole with epoxy. Water also gets between the bulkhead and the liner on the aft end of the head.

Ed Balun

Member I
FAUCET REPLACEMENT

THANK YOU GEOFF. I WILL GO TO HOME DEPOT RATHER THEN WEST MARINE FOR MY FAUCETS. YOU STATED THAT USING A SHARP KNIFE TO BREAK THE SILICONE WOULD BE REQ'D. DO YOU MEAN ALONG THE TOP? DID YOU DAMAGE THE COUNTER TOP?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
No I did not damage the countertop, but as a precaution you may want to put masking tape where the lip of the bowl meets the countertop. Be sure to remove the four(?) bolts holding the bowl to the counter before you begin. Also, be sure to remove all small children first as there will be much cursing.

There is one other improvement I recommend. On this Ericson model, if water leaks into the compartment under the sink, it will run out onto and under the cabin sole. I smeared silicone on all of the seams under the sink to a height of about 4 inches. I then drilled a 3/8" drain hole from the head compartment into this undersink space. You have to drill through the raised fiberglass liner. I was able to get the hole about one inch off the sole. I then inserted a polyethyene tube into the hole, glued it to the inside of the liner, and cut the tube protruding into the head compartment flush with a razor. Now any water getting under the sink (e.g. from overfilling the water tanks if the thruhull is closed) drains into the head compartment and then into the shower drain.

On the subject of faucets, I replaced the crappy Tempo faucet for the cockpit shower with a nice chromed bronze single knob model made by Scandvik. Since only a single hole is required, I first installed a beige 1/4" thick plastic plate to hide the three holes made for the Tempo model.

Last edited: