Hatch Replacement for 32-3

Al Emondi

Member II
I am looking for anyone who may have replaced their original hatch with a newer model. Last year I had a well... unexpected jibe with my hatch open. Well the boom vang... I think you got the picture. Anyway, I managed to bend the hinges back in place and with a new hinge kit, I repaced the sheared pins. The hatch is working now, but with weakened hinges and very crazed lenses, I think I want to replace it. I noticed that Geoff replace his with new Lewmars. Geoff.. do you have the model number of the hatch you used? Was it the Lewmar Ocean Size 60 flat base (39660050)? The original hatch seems smaller than the new one, and may not fit on the deck foundation which is built up. So far I haven't found any pictures that you posted on that topic.... still looking.

Al Emondi

Member II
Pictures of Old Hatch

For clarity I posted this image so it is clear how the hatch sits on the built up deck foundation.

Attachments

• IMG_0057_small.jpg
    IMG_0057_small.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 176

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Al,
We have replaced both stock Lewmars on our '88 model boat within the last decade. Both have current Lewmar same-size hatch models in production, and I would bet that you can find one, too. Note that their current hinge system is far far superior to their old "roll stop" idea.
Measure both the cut-out size and the outside size and check their "Ocean" series of hatches for your hatch size number. When you reinstall, turn the hatch around (180 degrees). We did.

Here is the factory page for the hatches - note that you click on the words for the specs, and not on the little picture.
http://www.lewmar.com/products/index.aspx?lang=1&template_id=2&page_id=4&sub1=24&sub2=92

Good Luck,
Loren

Last edited:

Al Emondi

Member II
Looks promising

Loren,

Thanks for the advice. I was concerned because the new Lewmar "Ocean" series measurements seem to be about 7mm larger than what I measure on the current hatch. However, the Lewmar catalog does not give the flat base measurements for the new hatch, just the overall. So it has been impossible to tell if the new hatch flat base will fit on the deck foundation. However, it seems like yourself and Geoff (in separate emails) have confirmed..."no worries". If anyone has a picture of the new hatch installed, I would like to see it... thanks for the help!