Hatch lens replacement

SeaRogue

Member II
20150214_155517 (640x360).jpg

The above is a picture of the hatch on my 1985 E323. I would like to replace the crazed lens. Does anyone know who made that hatch and the best place to look for a lens replacement?

Thanks

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
It is a Lewmar Super Hatch. There are many threads on this site about replacing the lens. Google "Ericson lewmar hatch lens replacement" for a list of threads on this site.

About 8 - 10 years ago I replaced an entire hatch rather than spend the money that Select Plastics wanted, coupled with their threat that the frame might be bent requiring more money. I'm still happy with my choice. The hinges on the new hatches are much better.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?4767-Lewmar-Superhatch

Others have replaced the lens themselves.

Last edited:

SeaRogue

Member II
Thanks

Thanks Tom and Christian for the schooling on hatch lens replacement. The video done by Christian was very helpful. I have a few projects in line to attend to before I get to the hatches but I am trying to get smart on the issue so that I can plan for that project properly.

Christian, thank you also for your blog and videos. They are helpful and entertaining.

Tony

jsnaulty

Member II
hatch lens replace

FWIW, I had select plastics replace the lenses in my hatches, and also my very odd port lights- labeled Bomar, but bomar denies any knowledge of these ports from 1983. they did an excellent job, and kept me from getting black sealant/adhesive all over the hatch, me. the boat, and anyone near me. Sealants and I just do not get along. check out the picture of my glued down deck if you don't believe me.
IMG_0111.jpg

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
FWIW, I had select plastics replace the lenses in my hatches, and also my very odd port lights- labeled Bomar, but bomar denies any knowledge of these ports from 1983. they did an excellent job, and kept me from getting black sealant/adhesive all over the hatch, me. the boat, and anyone near me. Sealants and I just do not get along. check out the picture of my glued down deck if you don't believe me.
View attachment 15809

Wow! That deck looks like it was a lot of work. Is that teak?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
These Bomars? Loved them. Unfortunately, the lens can't be changed. I replaced with Lewmars in a slightly enlarged hole.

Attachments

• 1114121517a.jpg
    1114121517a.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 450

jsnaulty

Member II
lenses

different bomars- they claim never to have seen these- the lenses are thick plastic, gasket is glued into frame, and the latches are screw in with a claw like a bomar hatch, and they attach to grooves milled into the lenses. no frame around the lenses. really odd. and yes, that is 30 year old teak- apparently a factory option at the time.

Timsb

Member II
I'm in the process of doing mine right now. I haven't gotten them back from the plastics fabricator yet. If he does a good job I can put you in touch with him. He can use my 32-3 lenses as a template.

jsnaulty

Member II
hatches, port lights

you mean you have these strange port lights, too? please let me know how your fabricator does it.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
A good friend of mine thinks we should be happy with our crazed lenses. He just paid lots of money to get a "cracked glass" window put in his house. Ours come for free.

Another source is Hatchmasters in Norwalk. The Catalina website is a good source for the opening port lenses.

Timsb

Member II
you mean you have these strange port lights, too? please let me know how your fabricator does it.

No, apparently in 87 Ericson used dfferent port lights. My opening portlights are frameless and easy to duplicate and replace. I was referring to the hatches. But I am doing the portlights too.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Any port in a storm....

Our 89 has Lewmar opening ports. I replaced all of the lenses with direct replacements from Catalina Direct. I think they were in the $25 range each.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our 89 has Lewmar opening ports. I replaced all of the lenses with direct replacements from Catalina Direct. I think they were in the $25 range each.

Not sure how helpful a "timeline" is for Ericson-installed parts, but our boat was built in late 1988, and has all Lewmar opening ports (and both opening hatches, all winches, and blocks).
I surmise that EY was buying Lewmar parts by the crate load. :)

Loren

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Lewmar Replacements

Tine has passed and the prices at Catalina Direct have been updated. Too bad our income hasn't been updated. The range is now $32 to $41 for the ports. They have added Lewmar hatch lenses and seals to their lineup. They weren't there last time I looked. They are well worth looking at before making a buy decision.