Hardware for a 1971 35 ft Ericson MK II

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, in our area I know of some worthless (no marketable value) frp boats that were cut up with a large power saw. Wear a full 'bunny suit' and a good respirator.
Reduced down to pieces that went into a landfill. Lead keel sold for scrap. Any easily marketed parts sold privately or sent to a used parts consignment store. There is/was a sailboat "wrecking yard" in NW Washington that parts out boats.
Different than wrecked cars, but not too different. I would guess that any usable ss pulpits or stanchions would have decent value. Hatches... maybe, depending on condition.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
How soon does it need to be removed? There are some items I would be interested in such as stanchions, stern rail, cockpit teak, hatch runners (by which I mean the two stainless steel pieces that the hatch runs on), chainplates, and spreaders (if you have a 42 ft. mast). However if the boat is in 619 it would be a significant undertaking for me to get out there to pick them up.

I am sorry to hear that you are losing your boat.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Mr. Scarlett

Member III
FWIW, in our area I know of some worthless (no marketable value) frp boats that were cut up with a large power saw. Wear a full 'bunny suit' and a good respirator.
Reduced down to pieces that went into a landfill. Lead keel sold for scrap. Any easily marketed parts sold privately or sent to a used parts consignment store. There is/was a sailboat "wrecking yard" in NW Washington that parts out boats.
Different than wrecked cars, but not too different. I would guess that any usable ss pulpits or stanchions would have decent value. Hatches... maybe, depending on condition.
Up here there's Crush Week. IMAG0701.jpgIMAG0699.jpg I have been to the wrecking yard in Lynden, and will return sometime in the next couple of weeks. Great resource for those of us with 70s and 80s boats.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Up here there's Crush Week. View attachment 46360View attachment 46361 I have been to the wrecking yard in Lynden, and will return sometime in the next couple of weeks. Great resource for those of us with 70s and 80s boats.
Thats how they do it Santa Cruz. It's good to keep your eyes on what is in line to be crushed then ask if you can take parts if there is something you want. I got a few things off of an E27 including a full steering system before the backhoe went to town.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
This is the list of items that I am interested in:

Stern rail
Traveller track
Teak cockpit sides
Spreaders (if the mast is 42 ft.)
Stanchions and gates
Chainplates
Hatch runners (stainless steel strips that the hatch runs on)
Jib tack attachment point
Mast step (the raised piece of metal screwed to the boat that the mast sits around)
Starboard jib track
Nose piece
Dining table mount

If equipped:
Tiller, tiller head, and tiller clamp
Spinnaker pole
Hydraulic backstay

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

ericson216

Member I
Will you be posting any photos? Say, of the gooseneck fitting on the boom?

Stern rail
Traveller track
Teak cockpit sides
Stanchions and gates
Chainplates
Mast step (the raised piece of metal screwed to the boat that the mast sits around)
Starboard jib track
Nose piece
Dining table mount

If equipped:
Spinnaker pole
Hydraulic backstay

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972
Hi Gareth, I am almost finished getting all of the info and pictures together

ericson216

Member I
**UPDATE**
Today the boat gets demolished, it is a sad day for my dad. I felt so bad when we were clearing out what we could and loading up the truck he said, "well I guess all of this hardwork and time I put into this boat must have been some form of therapy." All I could do was give him a big hug and told him he did a great job in building this boat. I think that between the boat being broke into and seeing all of his hard work trashed and stolen and then months later finding out my mama had pancreatic cancer and passing away, the dream of sailing around the world was just not a interest anymore, especially if you don't have your wife to do it with. So with that being said here is a list of what we were able to retrieve off of the boat. Unfortunately some items we could not get off because like I told my dad as we were working trying to remove bolts and screws " whoever built this boat was determined that these were never going to come off" he laughed and said " exactly honey, that was my intent when I built this boat"
So these were the items I was able to retrieve from the boat before they demo today.

Chain plates
Head door
Foward compartment door
Engine cover
Cabinet drawers
Cabinet doors
Boom
Spinnaker Pole
Hatch guide rails
Perkins 4-108
Windows
Door handles
Ladder
Stainless steel diesel deck fill
LED courtesy lights
Anchors
Cockpit teak "it just needs to be cut"
Hatch runners
Chainplates
Teak cockpit sides
Spreaders
Dining table mount
2 solar fan
9 gallon Water tank
I am getting another updated list from my father this afternoon

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
That is a truly sad story indeed. Cancer is cruel. Some people are not much better.

With some notice I would have been willing to help pull things apart (I have some experience after Hurricane Ivan), and you clearly have a lot to deal with right now, so let me know if the date gets pushed back for any reason.

In addition to the list I gave above, I would be interested in the head and forward doors, the ladder, and possibly the LEDs. And if you can get one of the jib tracks off that would be even better - the screws are into small nuts built into the boat and my screws came out with some persuasion (and then someone at a boat yard stole my track).

I wonder if yours was one of the boats that I used to see on the bay when I was stationed there.

Gareth
Freyja E35 No. 241 1972

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I am also really (really) hoping you were able to get the mast step which is screwed down on top, as opposed to the one that would need to be cut from the fibreglass, since it would be tricky to get one machined.

Gareth
Freyja E35 No. 241 1972

ericson216

Member I

Stern rail
Traveller track
Teak cockpit sides
Stanchions and gates
Chainplates
Starboard jib track
Nose piece
Dining table mount
y
If equipped:
Spinnaker pole
Hydraulic backstay

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972
We have the Spinnaker pole, the tiller head. Teak cockpit sides, spreaders, chainplates, hatch runners, dining table mount

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I should be able to take a look at them sometime during the middle of next week. When would work for you?

Gareth
Freyja E35 No.241 1972

ericson216

Member I
I will ask my dad about the winches.

I will ask my dad about the winches.

Sounds good.
@Kenneth K The amount of damage that was done to the boat when it was broken into was not worth putting it back together and then with my mother passing, my dad was just finished with it. So I took over trying to find a way to get out of the rental contract of $500.00 a month to store a boat you can't even use. The new boat yard owner said I could get out of the contract for $1000.00 and he would demolish the boat because he is turning the boat yard into a scrap metal place. But I was able to have the $1000.00 removal fee waived because when I was out there last week to get the mast, it was gone???? So I asked how does a 42ft mast just get up and walk away?? So with that said my dad does not have to worry about that payment anymore.