hanging stuff up

dc27

have boat, need time
as i outfit the E27 for weekend cruising, one of the issues i'm running into is storage space. for as "roomy" as the boat feels down below, there's not a lot of space for "stuff" -- particularly stuff that needs to be hung up.

the hanging locker is particularly small, so i'd like to add some hooks somewhere for clothing, PFDs, etc. my thought is to put some hooks into the wooden panel over the starboard quarterberth, to maximize the space back there. i looked at some household hooks at Home Depot today, but they're all designed for a "level" environment, i.e. one that isn't prone to heeling and yawing. i'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good hook that will secure hanging items even in rough seas.

if they don't come at the inflated price of "marine grade" hardware, so much the better. :)

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
How about a gear hammock back there? They're great for holding larger items like pfds, etc, and they still allow use of the berth if needed, or for storage of other things like an inflatable, or charts.

dc27

have boat, need time
thanks Nate! i think your idea is a good one. between a hammock and one of those big (25 gallon) Tupperware bins, i should have plenty of stowage for PFDs, cockpit cushions, shoes and the like.

like most of life's problems, i think this one can be attributed to the Previous Owner. :D he'd installed some shoddy hanging hooks that weren't very effective (i think they were made for hanging picture frames), and i was fixated on finding better hardware instead of a finding better answer entirely.

thanks again! (more opinions always welcome)

Sven

Seglare
It doesn't directly address your question, but if you think you have storage problems ... ha !

We do have a bunch of small things that tend to get lost if we don't hang them up; keys, locks, caps, outboard kill-switch lanyard and so on. We finally picked up some scrap mahogany strips (3/8" by 1 1/4" or so). We cut them to size, sanded and varnished them and epoxied them to the fiberglass right next to the companionway. Before epoxying them in place we attached 4 or 5 nickel (?) hooks to them.

The hooks cost a fortune but it sure is convenient to have all those readily available hooks right around the companionway corner.

-Sven