Hanging storage for galley

adam

Member III
I want to increase storage in my galley, by using this surface to hang pots, pans, knives, utensils, etc.

Over time I might want to move things around. But I want to make as few holes as possible. I don't want to destroy the surface with a ton of holes.

Any ideas / suggestions?

CAM00515.jpg

tripper_dave

Member II
We built a drop-down counter space that hinged to this surface.
Built it from a heavy cutting board, it has increased the functionality of our galley exponentially.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Make a rack from a piece of teak that can be mounted with only two screws. You could also make a rack like the butcher-block knife racks that would mount on the teak rack as well.

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
On my 35-2 the galley is on the other side but otherwise has that same short bulkhead arangement. I put a 2x2 post in from the top of the bulkhead to the cabin top. It worked out that a standard teak paper towel rack then fit perfectly from the post to the side wall below the window. The top of the towel rack has a small shelf perfect for a few spices, and at the bottom there is a dowel running below the towels. On that dowel I bent some hooks and looped them on using wire scrounged from a coat hanger. It is now a hanging home for my strainer, a couple of 6" square griddles and a couple of 6" fry pans. On the front face of the post I made a 2 knife rack by cutting a couple of slots in a 1' piece of 2x2 then screwing it, slots in, to the post (it is a very secure way to keep sharp pointies under control) In addition to adding storage space without making it look closed in, it makes for a really great hand hold. It cost only 2 holes in the bulkhead, one in the cabin top (I put a pin in the top of the post. ran that into a single hole and it is held in place by tension on the screws at the bottom) and 2 screw holes below the window. If I get a chance I will post a pic if you are interested. Edd

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Mine already has a bunch of holes in it. Well, that's part of the "freedom" of owning an old boat, I guess. Currently, I've moved the "wine rack" thingy (used to be on the forward bulkhead where the force-ten heater is now) into that space, where it fits perfectly.

But lately I've been thinking about some sort of modular attachment system that would allow secure but re-configurable stowage and attachment of equipment. You'd have to drill holes only one time.

One possibility is a couple of pieces of unistrut - durable, easy to find at home depot or the like, however not very attractive. And maybe not easy to fit against curved surfaces.

Another system that I've looked into is the military PALS system (pouch attachment ladder system, usually mis-labeled on-line as MOLLE, which is actually something different.) I put some of that into my Jeep and am still dicking around with it. It's not designed to hold pots and pans (though you could probably make it do so). However, there are people making rigid versions of it from laser-cut aluminum that don't look too bad. Or you could roll your own. As long as you keep the slots compliant with the standard dimensions, you could then attach any of the PALS-compliant pouches or tools that are on the market. Or make your own. The rigid version should be able to hold anything from oars to cabinets to seat cushions.

For some reason, I can't seem to make any pictures copy over :mad:

Last edited:

Macgyro

Amazingly Still Afloat
Blogs Author
French Cleat

What about a french cleat with two screws, then put the other half of the french cleat on whatever you choose to use with the space, when removed you've got a nearly flat surface, and you can evolve the design as your needs/desires change.

-Dean

Glyn Judson

hanging pots.

Dear friend, Bear in mind that pots and pans will tend to swing back and forth creating arc-like scratches in the bulkhead. Are you sure you really want to do this? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Dear Glyn, that is the beauty of hanging them in the open space above the bulkhead. Then there is onlu the tearable music they make in a seaway! Edd

markvone

Sustaining Member
Add Counter Space !

I would add a drop down counter piece as Dave suggests in post #2 and store the other stuff somewhere else. The E26 had this and it does double the working space in a small galley. See the bottom picture on page 3 of the E26 color brochure in the downloads section of this site. (It's too big to upload here.)

Mark