Hands off my lines

TimTimmeh

Member II
I had a beautiful little afternoon sail, enjoying the last of the summer evenings. I was feeling so in tune with the boat and the wind, conditions being so benign I decided to try to sail into my slip.I furled the head sail at the marina entrance then turned down the short fairway and dropped the main with plenty of way to make it right into the slip. She slid perfectly up to the finger and I hopped out with my stern line, attached it to the dock cleat and turned around to see, to my horror, a dock walker had grabbed my bow line unannounced and wrapped it around the midway dock cleat, stopping the boat short with the stern swinging wildly out towards my slip-mate and the bow almost into the finger. Yikes! Well i sorted it all out but really felt robbed of perfect docking this day.
I don't know how everyone feels about this, and I know people like to feel useful and try to help, but please don't interfere with someone docking unless they ask you for help and give you instructions.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ongoing problem/difficulty. If I see someone looking like they want to help, I instruct them as to what is needed.... and not needed. (sigh)

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Sorry you got robbed Tim. Am fortunate that the people in my marina always ask first, and don't automatically offer assistance. They'll stand by and if I need them, I tell them exactly what to do. Now, having said that, it isn't always perfect.

TimTimmeh

Member II
I've asked for help before, I'm not always perfect. Maybe someone out there will find this thread and will reconsider the urge to "help" someone next time without being asked.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The fellow made an error. But we should all stand ready to help on a dock when a boat is arriving.

If a crew has a line in hand ready to throw, stand with both arms extended horizontally, like a scarecrow. They'll know to throw the line over you for an easy catch.