Handrail attachment on a 32-3

Mindscape

Member III
Wondering if anyone knows how the handrails on the cabin top on a 1985 32-3 are attached? I see the plugs in the teak, but I'm wonderning what they anchor to? TIA

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
No idea, but since everything else on the deck is though bolted, I would guess the handrails are the same, which means wrecking the liner to get at them. What's the problem with yours?

ref_123

Member III
Handrails

Some time ago I saw a thread (may be it was on Sailnet) where people were saying that the rail is held by bolts glassed in the cabin top... Did not have a chance to verify that yet, and hope I will not have one for a while :).

Regards,
Stanly

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I just did a search and the only thing I could come up with is that some of the earlier models had the exterior rails "sandwich bolted" to the interior rails. That may be the case with our boats. You'd have to see if the rails line up. I really doubt that there are nuts glassed into the cabin top as this would be a departure from construction practices on our model. The only thing close to that I have observed is the method of fastening the traveler to the storm hood and there the nuts were not glassed in but glued to the backside (presumably when the hood was off the boat).

Mindscape

Member III
Handrails

Geoff - I'm not having any problems with the handrails. The PO used Cetol on them a couple of years ago and they are close to needing a new coat. I'm thinking of replacing them with stainless steel (for reduced maintenance) so I was trying to understand just how hard it would be to remove them. Since I can't see the back side of them I wondered if someone may of tackled this before.

I'm guessing some of the folks out there may take 'exception' to replacing the teak with stainless but I'm on the minimize the maint and maximize the sailing plan :oops:

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I put Cetol on mine and slap a coat of Cetol gloss on every year. I don't worry about the backside. Works for me and takes only about 30 minutes. I can remember my first reaction to my boat when I first saw it with the broker. I was thinking Tartan so I was a little put off by the lack of teak. It has since grown on me obviously, but I wouldn't replace any of the teak with stainless.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
That was me that made the post about finding the handrails attached to nuts buried in the core, just under the top layer of fibreglass, which were only possible to remove by brute force ripping out the handrails. I then through bolted them by cutting holes in the headliner.
Other posts have suggested that later boats were done differently.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Brian K

Member III
Removing Handrails

Frank, did you ever remove your handrails? I was just wondering what you found regarding the method of mounting. I have a 1988 E 32-200 and I assume the rail would be mounted using the same method. The E-35MK 3 might also have the same mounting system since both models were built around the same time and are very similar. Thanks!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I replaced the handrails on my '85 35-3. Mine were held on with large wood screws down into the FG pillars and what appeared to be 5200. I had to remove the bungs, screws and then carefully seperate the rail from the pillars. I used the old handrails as a jig to drill the new ones. they fit perfectly and look brand new after multiple coats of Honey Teak. Email me off line if you would like more details.

BTW, I refinished the interior hand rails after removing them. They were held on with machine screws into captive nuts in the cabin top. All of them came out except for 2 which I had to drill the heads off of. After removing the hand rails I used vice grips to remove the remaining part of the screws. The nuts never moved so I would say they are glassed in fairly well.

Last edited:

Mindscape

Member III
Handrails

Brian, I have not removed the handrails. I'm going to re-up on the Cetol with clear over it as Geoff described (is Geoff still out there?).

I'm hesitant to remove them until I'm more comfortable with how they are attached and removed, or I decide to take chance:egrin:

Brian K

Member III
Thanks Frank & Tim. I'm going to see how on-the-boat refinishing goes. It may be all I need since the rails are in pretty good shape to begin with. If it comes out less than satisfactory, off they will come,,,,,, after the sailing season is over!