Hand cranking Universal 5432

mrojec

Member I
My first post... I will be helping a friend get his E35 III ready for launch in June. It's been on a cradle for 3 years. We'd like to hand crank the (compression-released) diesel before attempting to start it. Has anybody had success doing this? It looks like we may have to use the V-belt pulley. There is a splined end on the crankshaft but I've not been able to determine if a female fitting is available for it.
Thanks
Mark

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Put it in gear, make sure the fuel is OFF, have one person hold the compression release open, put on a pair of leather gloves, check again that the fuel is OFF, and you ought to be able to turn the drive coupling or prop.

ConchyDug

Member III
A decent sized pipe wrench works on the spline. I mean you're not trying to crank it right? Just turning it to see if it's not seized? I use a 18" pipe wrench for turning the crankshaft for timing valves.

mrojec

Member I
Thanks for that advice. Yes, we just want to be sure the engine isn't seized. I thought about the pipe wrench on the crankshaft but I was worried about chewing it up some. I suppose a rag or inner tube rubber would protect it.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I turn my M25 over by hand regularly using the water pump pulley. Takes one hand if your hands are clean, or two if oily, with decompression lever "open."