Halyard tension

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Just a quick question for the rigging experts out there. I raised my brand new headsail today for the first time. When I went to furl it on the Harken unit, it was much more difficult than I remembered from last year.

Is furler operation affected by halyard tension, forestay tension or both? I also have a new hydraulic BS adjuster that I'm just learning how to use.

Maybe it's just that the sail cloth is so stiff that it is hard to furl. It's been a long time since I've had a brand new sail.

thanks,

Steve Murray
E35III 222
Charlottetown, PEI

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
In Calder's book he recommends reducing halyard tension when furling a sail. I asked Pro Furl about this as thats what I have. The rep laughed at me! He stated that was not at all necessary with their product. I am thinking that Harken is the one to ask. RT

Cory B

Sustaining Member
My experience is really loose forestay tension or really tight halyard tension does make a sail harder to furl. Easy enough to experiment with.

That being said, its probably just that you got a crisp new sail. Our 1yr old laminate sail still does not furl nearly as nice as the blown out dacron one the boat came with.

Emerald

I had always thought that you should ease the halyard tension so as not to stretch out the luff by always having it tight. Thoughts - does it really matter?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I had always thought that you should ease the halyard tension so as not to stretch out the luff by always having it tight. Thoughts - does it really matter?

Tough to say. I try to release a bit of halyard tension when I leave the boat. I also back off the backstay but not so much that it allows the headstay to oscillate in the wind. Less tension when not in use seems like a good idea. I don't always remember though..... RT

CaptDan

Member III
My 2 cents - worth as much:

Most pro riggers (in my experience) recommend a reduced halyard tension on furling headsails - not only because it enhances furler performance, but it also reduces stress on the furling system in general. That doesn't mean flying with scallops, just being a little more conservative relative to hank on sails. Based on my own humble experience with two types of furlers, and various types/sizes of jibs, I think there's truth in that.

My modus operandi is to hoist the jib, tension it 'till the luff is flat, then slowly ease out the halyard a bit 'till it 'feels right.' Occasionally I check the luff and adjust as necessary.

YMMV.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

Steve Murray

Inactive Member
Thanks for the replies. Cory's "reduce the tension and see what happens" suggestion is what we'll try when we go out today. It's a beautiful day here in the Maritimes. I reread the section in Calder's book and the extra wear and pressure on bearing races makes sense. The new sail is a Doyle Quicksilver II 135%. The luff tape was really tight in the foil groove so winching started when the sail was only about half up. A non-sailor friend was grinding and may have overdone it a bit.

sleather

Sustaining Member
The luff tape was really tight in the foil groove so winching started when the sail was only about half up. A non-sailor friend was grinding and may have overdone it a bit.

Steve might want to try some Sailkote by Team McLube(or other dry lube) on that slot.