Halyard sheaves with ball bearings...

Quiet Magic

Member II
Hi all, I was wondering what brands of halyard sheaves with ball bearings would be good use for the mast crane. I was gandering a some harken sheaves at my local Westmarine, but I couldn't find any meant for 3/8 line halyards. And I was also wondering if replacing my non-ball bearing sheaves is even worth it.

rssailor

Sheaves

Steve,
The harken sheaves you were looking at are made for small diameter line or cable. All of moonglows sheaves are aluminum and not ball bearing. the one on the front side of the mast for the spinnaker halyard at the masthead had to be custom made as I could not find one from Schaefer, Ronstan, or any other companys that was the right size. Using all line for the halyards is the only way to go. Ryan Moonglow E-25+:egrin:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Do you know the specs of the OEM sheave? Width overall, diameter, and pin size? These 3 sizes will dictate what you can work with. Try www.apsltd.com or call a rep at Harken. You will likely find something that is a close fit this way. On the other hand 3/8" is probably on the big end for halyards on a 27' boat. I run 3/8 on my 38. You could probably do fine with 5/16 or even 1/4, probably just not as nice on the hands, but hey if you're looking for slick running halyards wear some gloves...

Last edited:

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
sheaves

Steve,

Any machine shop can turn your existing sheaves to fit the line you want to use. I would save the money for other projects rather than getting ball bearing sheaves.....it can be real work to get that main up, though!

Heave ho!
Keith
E33

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Are there weather tolerant bearing assemblies that could be fitted to the existing sheaves? While at the machine shop the sheave could be bored for the bearing to be pressed in.